pH

Crotalus

Premium Member
I am struggling with my pH.  It sits at 7.7.  When I add alk buffer it jumps to almost 9 but only lasts 30 min. or so.  All the discussions I see blame it on CO2.  I added a CO2 absorption canister a couple of days ago and it made no difference.Does anyone in the area sell pH meter calibration buffers?  I think I need to check my Hanna meter before doing anything else.Thanks 

I got some buffer and checked my meter calibration.  It wasn't off like I hoped.My pH was perfect until I discovered my alk was crazy high.  I brought the alk down with water changes but even raising the alk back up to 13+ doesn't raise the pH much over 7.8.  The CO2 filter has done nothing at all.It seems like the problems cascade.  I'm past the brown algae.  I have the hair algae 95% whipped.   I have a toadstool, frogspawn, hammer, GSP, and torch doing great, but several zoanthas and palys are withering away (the ones that are supposed to be easy).I'm stumped.

No, I don't.  That is going to be my next step.  I will have to make some kind of custom container to hold it.  It's getting very tight under the aquarium.  Going to have to think about it.Thanks

Yeah I use it on both my main display and frag tank. Display uses a reactor, frag uses ato container. I must say having a separate reactor is nicer and less messy buy both ways work.

I guess I need to build an ATO anyway.  My tank loses more than a gallon a day.I already have an industrial controller that senses water conductivity using very low voltage.  I'm reluctant to use it as I see warnings here and there about stray voltage screwing other things up.  Float valves can salt up and stick though.What do you use?

I use the smart micro ato on all my systems. So you filling up manually everyday?If you know how much you are adding everyday you could setup a drip jug of kalk in the evening, of that same amount of evap, and let it slowly fill it back up overnight.

I manually top off every other day.  The amount varies slightly.I bought a float controller, a small pump, and some Kalk with other trace elements today.Now I just need to buy a container to hold my RO/DI and kalk mix.  I'll check out what's at Lowes tonight.  I don't think I need a fancy acrylic box. 

1) If you are seeing a large change in pH with chemical additions you should spread out the interval they are put in on.  Dosing pumps are a handy way to do this, with a drip line being the cheap alternative (you will need to unclog periodically).2) The same goes with kalk.  I've been trying (not entirely successfully) to keep my pH up with it (big system though).  Dump it in all at once and you'll precipitate some things out.  Drip it in slowly (or, if needed, set it up on a many times a day doser addition) and things will go better.I'm a big fan of kalk addition, but if your Ca and Alk are good, I wouldn't chase pH too much.If you run a skimmer you may also try running outdoor air in to that.  Indoor CO2 levels, especially in a well sealed house, can be very high, driving down tank pH.