PH Spikes from Kalkwasser in ATO

Ok I am attempting to raise the PH in my tank from 7.8 to 8.0+ using Kalkwasser in my ATO. After reading what Randy Holmes-Farley has written regarding it I chose to add 1 tsp per gallon as opposed to 2 tsp to check the results first. This is being added to a 5g jug used for top off (so 5 tsp total). I am noticing that when my ATO triggers and the water is pumped into the sump my pH spikes for around 20min (10min data logging on Apex). At 5:10am today the pH was 7.97 then after the top off it went to 8.63, at 7:40pm it was 8.02 then it went to 8.64. Should I be alarmed? The pH probe is located about 6" from where the top off goes into the sump. Thanks!

You need to put the probe in a chamber before your ato drips in the sump then you won't see spikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@kuyatwo wrote:
You need to put the probe in a chamber before your ato drips in the sump then you won't see spikes. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk said:
Ok, understood, my question then is are the spikes just because of placement or is the tank pH actually spiking that much to cause problems?

Just cause of placement of probe you are getting high concentration that is spike and once it dissipates out of the chamber that is when you know it is probably through your whole tank. That is why I said put the probe in a chamber before the ato and you should get a clearer pictures of the ph as it should be less concentrated Kalk water

Ok, that adjustment has been made, we will see how it goes over the next day or so. I have my temp down to 1 degree total swing throughout the day, im trying to square away the pH now then on to alk/calc with dosing...

I moved the probe to the chamber before the ATO drip and its still registering a spike just not as high, 8.21, 8.31, and 8.21 throughout the day. Any ideas?

Exactly. It sounds like you are dosing too much in a single session too quickly. How much is dosed with what pump?

Its being mixed into my top off water using an aqualifter. I dont know the exact amount it is dosing each time but I am toping off about 10g a week and it kicks on 2x a day so rough calculation would be about 3/4g each time. I am using the Tsunami ATO system so I dont know how to make it run more often with smaller amounts. Would a kalk reactor change my results or would they be the same considering it would be topping off the same amount daily?

Can you put a valve on the output of the tubing to restrict the amount of liquid being added? In other words, it comes on and drips / trickles in very slowly. You can get those drip irrigation black ball valves made for 1/4" tubing.

Can you explain the mixing process? You said the kalk is being mixed into the top off water...

Set it to run every 4 hours instead of every 12 hours.

Right now I am mixing 5tsp into a 5g jug (as opposed to the 10tsp recommend by Randy Holmes Farley) to test the results. All I am doing right now is pulling about 32oz of water from the just mixing in the kalk then pouring it back into the jug, allowing it to setup for at least 24hrs then hooking it to the aqualifter.

Are you recommending that I just remove the ATO system and set my aqualifter to run ever 4 hours for a specific amount of time with my apex?

Kalk reactor would be the same. How many chambers are on your sump? Which chamber is the tsunami and ph probe in.

If you have enough cord just for kicks put the probe in your tank and see of it has the same huge spike.

I don't see how your ato comes on twice a day. Mine prob comes on once an hour more when lights are on

Have you measured the pH of your kalkwasser with 1 tsp/gal? It should measure 12. You don't need to use 2 tsp.

Let your ATO add water more frequently instead of only twice daily and the higher pH won't affect the tank as much because less will be added per session.

The pH of the ATO water is 12.1 measured with the Apex. I do not believe that I can allow this ATO system to add water more frequently since there is no way to adjust it that I know of. If someone does please let me know, otherwise I have a feeling the only way to resolve this is to change my ATO system to one with float switches.

Is the tsunami in the return area of the sump

No its actually going into the fuge.

Sump layout
<hr class="bbcode_rule" />
Skimmer>Fuge>Return, probe in skimmer section, ATO in fuge

Make sure to the tsunami tube is set at right depth. I know on my avast ato which is like the tsunami that uses pressure if I set it where water level is high on the tube it takes quite a bit of evaporation to kick on the ato

I would think you want the ato in the return section maybe Marc can chime in

The way this sump is designed (bought it used) the return section and the fuge have the same water levels so unless there is something that I dont know about the location between those 2 chambers doesnt matter. Pampee am I understanding correctly that if the ATO "probe" is set to kick on say at 1" from the bottom and I put it in the water the first time at 1" from the top it will always refill back to 1" from the top?