pH probes calibrated & changed?

kthomas

Premium Member
I'm just curious to see how often other reefers keep their pH probes calibrated and how often they change them out?

I try to calibrate every 3 months and replace my probe once a year.

My first pH probe was a ReefGeek lab-grade probe and it lasted me 2 years but that was really before I knew they really should be changed out sooner. I buy just a standard grade probe now and I try to calibrate it every 3 months. This last time (yesterday) I re-calibrated my old probe and it registered 7.60. When I replaced it with a calibrated "new" probe it immediately jumped to 8.05.

My Alk, Cal, and Mag are usually always in check so it was easy for me to tell that my probe was going bad on me when it wouldn't recalibrate a month ago and jump back up in the 8's.

So I'm just curious if anyone else changes/calibrates theirs as frequently?

I calibrate and clean once a month with probe cleaner. I don't replace unless I find it's going out of calibration quickly. If it's still very close to correct every time I check it then no reason to replace it IMO.

@Ben Runnels wrote:
I calibrate and clean once a month with probe cleaner. I don't replace unless I find it's going out of calibration quickly. If it's still very close to correct every time I check it then no reason to replace it IMO. said:
How long have you had it? Is it the lab grade or standard grade?

I don't buy the cheap probes ... I get them from ReefGeek and they're the Neptune Systems probes. They don't last me more than a year.

The probe I'm currently using is a standard pinpoint probe I got from Dr F&S. I've been using it about 8 months now and I have very little variation when I calibrate.

@Ben Runnels wrote:
The probe I'm currently using is a standard pinpoint probe I got from Dr F&S. I've been using it about 8 months now and I have very little variation when I calibrate. said:
Yeah, same ... after 12 months I notice it drop. You'll probably notice this as well in a few months.

Mine has been going strong for several years. Its a standard grade apex. I have only cleaned it about 4 times and recalibrated about 6 or so times. I only calibrate when It seems to go out of wack. I have a spare that I compare the calibrations too.

I have 2 controllers with PH probes... I re-calibrate both when one starts giving me numbers outside of what I expect, which so far has been about twice a year. I have also had 3 BRS probes completely fail over a period of about 14 months. They replaced the first one that failed for free, but I didn't bother contacting them when the next one failed.

I have never cleaned or calibrated my PH probes and are a little over 1 year old. They both are the Neptune lab grade and I know that I need to calibrate them and will order the solution to do it tonight. I check my PH with my test kit every other month just to make sure that it is in line with what my read out is saying.

I only change them when they go haywire....here is what AquaticLife probes recommends.

This is from their maintenance procedures:

To ensure Probe accuracy, it is recommended that the Probe be cleaned at least every three months. Minerals, algae and slime found naturally in the aquarium will build up on the Probe over time. The Probe will not measure accurately with this buildup. Cleaning the Probe will remove the debris and prolong its life.

Disconnect the Probe from the Controller and unplug the Controller until cleaning is completed.
Place the Probe to be cleaned into a stable cup with either full strength lemon juice or white vinegar (both are weak acids).
Allow the Probe to soak for 5-10 minutes.
Remove the Probe from the cup and wet a cotton swab with the lemon juice or vinegar and gently wipe the Probe with the swab. Gently remove the hardened materials that have built up on the Probe.
Attach the Probe to the Controller and power on the Controller.
For accuracy, recalibrate the Probe after cleaning.

Thanks for all the info!

If I could add a question-

I know my Alk and Calc are in a good range but my pH probe was showing low. I cleaned it in a vinger bath and recalibrated it. It is still showing a low pH, is this a sign the probe is going bad?

I was unaware it needed to be changed out so often so I would bet it is more then a year but less then two.

Cheers,

@btibbetts wrote:
Thanks for all the info! If I could add a question- I know my Alk and Calc are in a good range but my pH probe was showing low. I cleaned it in a vinger bath and recalibrated it. It is still showing a low pH said:
Have you tested your pH with a test kit to make sure that it really isn't low and your probe is correct?

@btibbetts wrote:
Thanks for all the info! If I could add a question- I know my Alk and Calc are in a good range but my pH probe was showing low. I cleaned it in a vinger bath and recalibrated it. It is still showing a low pH said:
What is it reading? If it calibrated good on both solutions then my guess your ph is low

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk