Pete's 110 build

here's an update on the new LED bars

both bars are now complete, I'll work on the wore harness and tune in the ballast tomorrow.

I got a coupel shorts ont he first bar so I redid all the solder connections. I decided to make a loop rather then sharp turn as the sharp turn coming through the heat sink was causing problems.

the loop allowed me to grab the wire with a pair of needle nose plyers as a heat sink and help keep the insulation from melting so close to the solder.
[attachment=2]led wire loop.jpg[/attachment]

here is a soldered LED showing the looped wires
[attachment=1]led wire solder.jpg[/attachment]

and here is a picure of the end connetions (3 pair)
[attachment=0]led wire end connections.jpg[/attachment]

That is looking very nice. I need you to make me a 4' blue/UV bar sometime. It will be a while, but I sure like the way this is looking. Also, your tank and work is amazing.

@hoopsdaddy wrote:
That is looking very nice. I need you to make me a 4' blue/UV bar sometime. It will be a while said:
tanks Charles [smilie=wink.gif]

@Marc wrote:
The wire looks like aluminum? said:
the spec indicates it's tinned copper but it sure looks like a solid silver metal of some sort (not just coated). It does have a gloss to it I wouldn't expect from aluminum unless polished, but who knows.

a couple top downs

clam
[attachment=2]clam.jpg[/attachment]

wild birdsnest
[attachment=1]td bn.jpg[/attachment]

stag
[attachment=0]td stag.jpg[/attachment]

@Marc wrote:
Gorgeous!!! said:
thanks Marc
<hr class="bbcode_rule" />

Here’s my latest upgrade on the lights, at least they are installed and maybe my corals will spring back after not having the outside bars on them for the past month plus (I lost a couple SPS corals that I have to blame on the significant reduction in light output and duration). Previous to this upgrade the outside bars only had royal blue LED’s that ran for 18 hours a day. In trying to shed more light on the rock faces I added more whites and decided to try some violets. The outside bars now consist of 12 Cree XT-E Royal Blues, 6 Cree XP-G R5 7.5k whites and 6 Violet in the 410 - 420nm wavelength. The pictures white balance makes the outside whites look a shade yellow but to the eye they are a crisp white. The inner LED bars are still 12 Royal Blues and 12 whites - these whites are a tad bit yellow maybe more on the 5-6k side

The 4 T5 bulbs are all Coral+

I still have some wire management to do and I'm going to build a manual dimmer box. I also have 2 new dimmable ballast that I'll give a try on the T5's giving me dimming ability on the main display tank lights. I'm waiting on some Neptune APEX control modules that should be here later this week so I hope to get this project wrapped up and finally over with over the weekend.

Wow Pete, those corals and your light work are just really impressive. Thanks for taking the time to update. It looks really good!

Thanks Charles

The APEX parts didn't come in last week but I at least built the dimmer box. I will hard wire the APEX dimmer cat5 style wires to the box so the manual dimmer controls work in series with the APEX. This will allow me to turn down the normal APEX settings manually for acclimating corals etc. The switch will send a signal to the APEX that will over ride the normal program to turn all dimmable ballast to 100% and from there I can manually make adjustments to each ballast to test alternate lighting configurations, set the tones for pictures
[attachment=1]dimmer box front.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]dimmer box internal.jpg[/attachment]

@Servo wrote:
You are so darn handy. Impressive Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2 said:
thanks Ryan

I blame this upgrade on you, I had to do it after seeing your LED features
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xPVNiCPfIc[/video]

still waiting on parts :(

but here are a few pictures

this tenuis broke a small branch while I was cleaning the glass - within a hour it had 3 small polyps - I'm sure they were remnants of other polyps but still amazing
[attachment=2]tenuis break new polyps.jpg[/attachment]

a couple more pics of the same coral
[attachment=1]tenuis close up.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]tenuis mid range.jpg[/attachment]

rainbow stylo pics

[attachment=2]rainow stylo.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]rainbow stylow 2.jpg[/attachment]

pearlberry
[attachment=0]pearlberry.jpg[/attachment]

pearlberry with birdsnest
[attachment=2]pearlberry and BN.jpg[/attachment]

strawberry table