Pete's 110 build

psteeleb

Premium Member
Finally after 6 months I hope to be back with a reef tank. Even though my 29g is technically a reef with LPS and softies it just isn't the same as my old 300. One of these days I plan on setting up another 300+ but decided to with go something smaller for now.

The tank is a used 110 RR peninsula. I plan on giving it a good cleaning, a reseal and plumbing overhaul before I head back to GA on Monday. At first it will be VHO’s with a change out to T5’s and a 250w (or 2 250s) Metal halides. Maybe the light change out will be sooner then later as I already have the MH’s.

The plans are to use my existing stock and live rock to minimize severe cycles then start to bring back any surviving livestock that was in the 300 as soon as things appear stable.

More to come

@chrisT wrote:
Good to hear pete! said:
thanks Chris

here is the tank - just trying it out in this spot for size. I may put it in our bedroom but wanted to see what it looked like here

The tank is 48" x 18" x 28" with a single end overflow.
[attachment=2]110g overflow day one.jpg[/attachment]

First thing up is a reseal that I hope to get done this weekend.

Then I'm thinking about changing the sump a little by lowering the weirs to allow for more overflow. But as this would mean removing the glass panes I may just run the pump return area about ½ full and see what kind of surge it gives me.
[attachment=0]110g sump day one.jpg[/attachment]

The bottom of the stand is already sealed :)
[attachment=1]110g underside day one.jpg[/attachment]

I’ll use my old eductors on the return. I will probably split the return and run a leg to the far left side and may put the double return on a SQWID for some alternating flows.

A shallow 2-3” sand bed will come from the 300g as it is still full of life as will the refugium. My live rock is still in a 110g tub with my old skimmer and a couple pumps. I wont need it all so I’ll be selecting what will work and probably sell the rest. I may jut stack / peg rock on the right side and leave the left side open with exception to a couple display ricordia rocks.

Line the bottom further with pond liner so you can liner it further up to about 6 - 8 inches deep. I would also suggest drilling your rock with a quarter inch drill bit all over for pegging your corals.

@extinguishfire wrote:
Line the bottom further with pond liner so you can liner it further up to about 6 - 8 inches deep. I would also suggest drilling your rock with a quarter inch drill bit all over for pegging your corals. said:
after looking at it - I think you're right on, better safe then sorry. Not sure if I'll go the 6-8 " but at least enough to catch a major sump or tank overflow. The rocks are already drilled but I'll scope them out for putting in more holes - thanks Chris

Pete first I am glad to see that you are getting back into it. It looks like you have a solid plan and I am following you progress with great interest so keep the updates coming. I know that it must be frustrating going back and forth to Atlanta while working on this project.

@washingtond wrote:
Pete first I am glad to see that you are getting back into it. It looks like you have a solid plan and I am following you progress with great interest so keep the updates coming. I know that it must be frustrating going back and forth to Atlanta while working on this project. said:
thanks Dave

here is the reseal

first off was cutting off the old seal using a razor blade being careful not to cut in the the actual seam between the glass panes
after cleaning the area with mineral spirits and giving it a scrub with one of those Mr Clean magic erasers the old seals were off and the glass was clean
next I masked the area off for a 1/4" seam
[attachment=1]reseal tape.jpg[/attachment]

next was a bead of clear aquarium safe 100% silicon, then I smoothed the seal using my finger to smear the seal into the corner and push out any air bubbles. After letting the silicon dry for about 10 minutes (just enough to let the surface set) I carefully removed the masking tape.

and now I have new clean looking seals

next step is overhauling the sump
[attachment=2]110g sump day one.jpg[/attachment]

BigJay was over and looked up some skimmer sizes for me for a potential later upgrade. Based on what he found I wanted to be able to handle an 8" footprint, so I decided to increase the skimmer section by an inch. I also want to lower the water level, so all of the existing weirs came out.
[attachment=1]sump weirs.jpg[/attachment]

carefully cutting the old seams out with a Stanley knife to remove the glass, I then cleaned up the edges and surface areas of all the old silicon.
[attachment=0]sump weirs removed.jpg[/attachment]

next is a good cleaning, some glass cutting and reinstalling the modified weirs

last night I cut all the old weirs from 13" down to 10" high, and did another cleaning of the sump and all teh glass weirs
today starts the weir installation

I found a box that is 8 1/2" wide - exactly waht I needed for the first weir location. So I masked off the area and using some 3/4" pvc (15/16" dia) for the bottom spacers I then siliconed in the first weir
[attachment=2]sump first weir.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]sump first weir 1.jpg[/attachment]

after the silicon set for a few minutes I removed the masking tape. Then about an hour lalter I masked off and siliconed the second weir in place. I tilted the tank so gravity would help push the second weir into the silicon on the bottom of the sump
[attachment=0]sump second weir.jpg[/attachment]

Sump rework complete - flow into the sump will be into the right / skimmer section, through a bubble trap into the center refugium section and then through another bubble trap into the pump return section.

[attachment=0]sump reworked.jpg[/attachment]

next I'll start working on my pipe design. The maximum I can push through the sump is about 600gph. I would like to run my return into a supply loop on the top of the tank that feeds 4 eductors but I need to check if 600gph can feed all 4 effectively; if not I may have to settle for 2. The return line will also supply a 3/4" header to feed reactors etc.

Great silicone work. Anxiously following along, this one is going to look great. I've always liked the penninsula style tanks.

@Hoss wrote:
Great silicone work. Anxiously following along said:
@Joncelone wrote:
Lookin good Pete!! Keep the pictures comin! said:
Thanks guys

I'll keep posting updates but sometimes they may be a couple weeks apart. I wont be back in Texas until the 16th, My next project is installing the liner in the stand and the piping. I also want to do a good cleaning of the tank and system with an aquarium safe soap and maybe some scrubbing of glass surfaces etc, then a bleaching to sterilize, and an acid bath to clean off any old build ups of coralline etc. After all that I’ll do a 24 hour fresh water rinse and de-chlorination. While the cleaning is going on I'll work on the electrical; I'll be pulling the RK2 and a couple of the DJ' power strips from the old 300 for use on this setup. I'll also be running my RO/DI tubing to the new location and set up a remote tank for the auto top off. I hope to get all these items complete on my next trip home but I'll also be spending some time with my daughter before she heads off to Vegas for Miss America. :D

Your daughter is going to miss america pageant from the great state of navada? Is there a build log anywhere for that?? :)

j/k

good luck to her, and i hope your travels are safe. we all look forward to your updates. south lake isn't to far. If you need a hand send me a PM.

for clarification - Kristen is representing the great state of Texas at Miss America

[attachment=0]10_Texas.jpg[/attachment]

Beautiful young lady. I'm sure that makes you one proud pappy :) again, good luck to her.

btw, sometimes i wear my makeup just like that :lol:

Nice to see your new build thread, Pete. I didn't notice it until just now. Tell Kristen I said hi. :)