Pest algae in refugium

Bangemslim

Membership Expired
Over the past month or so I've had an enormous amount of cyano growing over my caulerpa in my refugium but nothing in the display. Although many would say as long as it's not in the display its fine however something is wrong or it wouldn't be growing at all. Tank is a 135 with trigger crystal 30, Eheim 1262 and a Cree daylight bulb about 5" above the water running opposite DT lights that's about two months old. Sand bed is about 1" and Parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10 and phosphate .3.

Put a small powerhead in fuge section but it only kicked up sand. I turned the light off for three days and it was clear two days ago and just after DT lights turned on I went to trim caulerpa and its full of red slime and a bubbly film on the surface of the water. The water in the return section always seems pretty still as well.

What am I doing wrong?

d564e55980009ea785157288a49581ea.jpg
alt="">
daf6692e19617e23210c805d5ce492fd.jpg
alt="">
b27cd50eb2dd539586d6836fcd34ed46.jpg
alt="">

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree with the statement that something must be wrong if you have cyanobacteria somewhere in the tank. An over abundance can certainly be annoying but do keep in mind that it is natural and does uptake nutrient. That being said, is your reading of phosphate really at .3 or is it .03? Big difference. If it is .03 then I would recommend a phosphorus test to look at total phosphate in the tank. I also prefer my nitrates closer to 5 ppm or less but not necessarily 0. We also notice cyanobacteria growing in higher numbers if there tends to be an imbalance in your regular bacteria colonies. Perhaps dose some new strains of aerobic and heterotrophic bacteria to give your beds a boost in numbers and diversity. Also what is your PH average/peaks and Alkalinity? Tell me more about your refugium bulb as well, like color temp.

I should have put that statement was more of an observational opinion than fact. The biggest problem I have with it is that it is growing on the side of the baffles that are almost unreachable making it hard to maintain.

The last test was done by my LFS and I was told at first it was steady at .1 then after adding Phosguard .03. I could have misinterpreted the results but I was assured that the first test was high but not dangerous and the second was great. As for bacteria, I have used Dr. Fosters and Smith strain, Live sand from Caribsea, live sand from LFS, and live rock from 3 different sources along with corals from many established tanks. I understand that those bacterias might be the smallest numbers by I assume they would multiply with increase of bio load. There is only 4 fish as my midas blenny jumped out of the tank and a small amount of corals for the water volume. Not sure if this effects anything bacteria wise beyond aerobic and anaerobic but I am using a DSB. PH peaks at 8.1 lowest was 7.5 before switching to reverse lighting schedule now its around 7.8. The bulb is a Cree 9.5w 5000K LED floodlight.

Treat tank with red slime remover follow directions it will go away. Then make sure your only feeding enough to be eaten in 1-2 mins

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

I've used red slime remover in California but I want to find the problem. I can turn the lights off for a few days and it will be gone to the eye but same night it comes back on its growing again... I got some chaeto hopefully to help outcompete for nutrients but as of now I'm getting close to shutting the tanks down and finding a new money pit with less stress. Like Frank at Franks tanks says it's a hobby not a chore

I wouldn't touch it. Just wait for more chaeto to grow and it will die out from lack of light or nutrients. As long as it's not in the display let it go nuts in the fuge, who cares? It's better for it to grow there and take up the nutrients where it's normally out of sight.

@denierlexiese wrote:
does anyone have experience of "red slime remover" vs "chemiclean" for red cyno? Thanks!!! said:
I've never used either. I personally stay far away from any quick fixes. Siphon it off, blow it off, water changes, let it run it's course.

What helps cheato grow? I have two grow lights in my refugium [one LED and one home depot plant flood light]. My magroves grow well in it, but never the cheato. My original ball never dies, but it never grows either. The ball is the size of my fist, but the sump is like a 20 gallon long

This is the sump i have. Instead of bioballs I put in live rock that gets water trickle over it.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41WK1QVRBtL._SS500_.jpg

In the middle chamber I have my external reef octopus sump return that creates a descent amount of flow back towards the waterfall plus air bubbles. I also have 1 inch of sand in the sump, and my chiller coil, and a small backup return pump. Main return pump is in the 3rd chamber, plus the pump to the skimmer.

@bdare wrote:
Tank looks really new. I wouldn't do anything. Probably just part of the cycle. said:
It's been running for 7 months. Still young, I agree.

@Ben wrote:
I wouldn't touch it. Just wait for more chaeto to grow and it will die out from lack of light or nutrients. As long as it's not in the display let it go nuts in the fuge said:
Well, I have blue/green cyano growing on my sand in the display. My skimmer pump died and the warranty is going to take a few weeks. So I'm sure the algae is going to get out of control and going to cause more headaches down the road.

@denierlexiese wrote:
Ben said:
I use a turkey baster and squirt it through filter pads to save the water but catch most of the slime. If I didn't save the water I'd be going through gallons a day of water.