PAINT on back of aquarium ???

BlennyLover

Membership Expired
I neglected to order my new tank with BLACK background. ... I was so concerned about making sure I had the starfire front.

Does anyone know exactly what kind of coating or paint is used on the back exterior?

On my current tanks and previous, it is pretty hard. I cannot scrape it off with my nail ... I would have to use a blade.

Please advise ... and thanks in advance!

I used dark limo tint on the outside back of mine. Was pretty easy to put on and seems to be working well so far.

it's on the outside of the tank, any rattle can spray paint or anything else you want to use will be fine.

@Ben Runnels wrote:
I used dark limo tint on the outside back of mine. Was pretty easy to put on and seems to be working well so far. said:
I am going to check on this as it might be smoother/ easier on my magnet. Currently ... after using the magnet on the back, I end up having to replace the pad/scrubber after a couple of times. ... so I don't clean the back often. It is not smooth.

I certainly wouldn't apply as I would end up with bubbles and peeling. I will see about the guy that does my son's truck.

My other concern would be salt creep.

Thank you!

@franklypre wrote:
black krylon said:
Yes, definitely black. I think this is what may be on tanks now after googling after your post. It's flat (finish) and the fact that I can't scratch it confirms it's the harder of paints. It's been wet a few times, so I am guessing this is it.

Thank you!

@ss95003 wrote:
it's on the outside of the tank said:
So will ALL paint harden to have the same bonding with glass? If so, then wouldn't it be safer to get a paint that can be rolled on vs. sprayed on?

I definitely have to get it painted as I am going with the HOB refugium monster that has a 24 hour light that I don't want on/ in the tank.

Thank you!

Krylon is good stuff, cheap paint is exactly what it is CHEAP. Krylon will actually go on PVC and hold up for a long time inside the tank so outside it will last even longer, if your planning on cleaning the back of the tank you should consider going hands in rather than mag floating it. I've always used Painter's razors on the back but 0000 steel wool will work too. Just make sure it is 0000 steel wool not the regular stuff.

Krylon is great for the back and the outdoor paint I think works the best for spraying glass.

Sent from inside the shark tank!

@franklypre wrote:
Krylon is good stuff said:
Okay ... I was worried about over spray even though I have the plastic drop and blue tape. ... and if it did get IN if it would be toxic.

Thank you!

@Eckolancer wrote:
Krylon is great for the back and the outdoor paint I think works the best for spraying glass. Sent from inside the shark tank! said:
KRYLON it is! Thanks so much everyone!

Keep your eyes posted to the build logs. Coming soon! [smilie=clapping.gif]

The back exterior of aquarium should be painted with light color. The baby pink, off white and sky blue
looks attractive on tank exterior.