One of my tang went missing

btieu

Premium Member
One of my tang went missing over the night. This Hippo Tang was at least 5 inch. Saw him the last night, the next morning, he didn't swim up the glass. So came back during the evening still don't see him. Is it possible that something killed him over night? My newest addition was a 13 inch carpet anemone with 2 skunk clowns about a week ago.

I came back and look at the tank and I saw something that look like fish bone next to the carpet anemone mouth. I have attached some pic for you guys to see. My main question is...can a carpet anemone kill it and ate him during the night? It really bother me not knowing where the hippo went.

The livestock I have in my tank (150 gallon)at the moment is 2 wrasse, a damsel, sailfin tang, yellow tang, ocellaris clown, 3 cleaner shrimps, emerald crabs, snails, and a snowflake eel (about 12 in long) I do feed the eel and anemone silversides and I was hoping those bone belong to them. Also, my tank is cover with window screen mesh.

If I were a betting man I would blame the carpet..... especially if you placed it in the tangs normal travel path.

Cheers,

@bimmerzs wrote:
If I were a betting man I would blame the carpet..... especially if you placed it in the tangs normal travel path. Cheers said:
I think you right Ron, I'm starting to see some flesh from the fish out of his mouth. I'm assuming he got stung when he swim by it? I'm just shocked and sadden that it had to happen to my hippo. [smilie=crying.gif]

That is one of the problems with putting such a potent fish killer in a small area with any fish. In the wild they have a lot of room to stay away, in a 2' x 6' X 2' area that is really not that much room to avoid it. And they only get bigger.

Pretty interesting to find out these Nems could kill such a large fish ! Sorry to hear you lost one of your favorites though. My advice, get rid of the Nem.

@ReefNut2010 wrote:
Pretty interesting to find out these Nems could kill such a large fish ! Sorry to hear you lost one of your favorites though. My advice said:
Yeah, I never knew these thing kill fishes. Lesson learn...the hard way. [smilie=sadsmile.gif]
But yeah, I got rid of him today. Now every time I look at my tank, I feel safe. I'm going to sleep good tonight. [smilie=lol.gif]