Nudi hitchhikers!

Animal Mother

Membership Expired
I recently added a couple of corals to my 10 gallon. One of them being a really nice Frogspawn frag, and the other about a 2 lb chunk of live rock with button polyps on it.

I noticed after adding the rock with the polyps a ton of little worms wiggling this way and that, picking up pieces of sand and sticking them to the rock in what appear to be cylindrical shapes, so I imagine they are feather dusters. Correct me if I'm wrong. Please!

Then I saw what appeared to be a micro-sized Snowflake Eel, which was in actuality a Peanut Worm after researching. Hey it was white with black bands... Then I saw a bristle worm under the back edge of the rock. Lots of cool stuff coming out of this rock I got.

Also, I noticed some kind of little spikey brown thing crawling around on the closed polyps but couldn't get the camera to zoom in enough to really tell what I was looking at. Later last night I saw it on the glass, and reallized it was a nudibranch of some sort.

It is brown, with thorny looking protrusions from its body, with two antenna's and a clear, tear shaped tail. It is only like 1 cm long so it's hard to see all the details. I also spotted a second one before I went to bed. Anyway, I imagine I should have removed it but I was happy to see more oceanlife coming about in my tank at the same time. Anyone have a clue what kind of nudibranch it is and if it is going to be a pest?

The corals possibly at risk in my tank are Green Star Polyps, Button Polyps, Frogspawn, and Purple Ricordia. Are these a nudibranch buffet?

Just the button polyps.... You can do a fresh water dip and being that it's a 10g you can just siphon them out most likely. :D

Post a pic and we will help you identify them.

Dang I hate to kill the little guys, they're pretty cool looking. The rock with the polyps only cost me $4.99 :lol: Is not the life of another living creature worth the cost of my corals? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Syphon them, yes. I believe I will use that method. I read about Marcs flatworm removal method and thought about that while I was looking at them. I was just amazed at the time by how crazy ocean creatures are.

I'll try to get a pic with the girlfriends digital when I get home.

Thanks for the quick response.

Syphon the Nudi's, not the flatworms! Though I have started seeing flatworms in my tank, I won't bother to syphon them, I'll just get some flatworm exit if I see some threatening my corals.

Yeah, I knew the darker colored ones were bad. They all look pretty clear at this point but I knew what they were as soon as I saw them crawling on the glass. Thanks for the tip. I will be picking up some Flatworm Exit on payday then to begin the apocalypse.

Ahh, I need to stock up on supplies anyway. I figured as long as they are clear and I don't see any on my corals they'll just be snacks for my Twinspot. I see something new everyday so I wouldn't be surprised if I start seeing some nasty ones eventually. I'm not really trying to turn the 10 into a reef tank, just wanted to add some more visual appeal to it.
Once my corals are well situated and my girlfriends tank is ready I was going to frag some into her tank and I can just hear her now if I introduced some pests into her tank...

Haha, well the girlfriend is at home on vacation so I forwarded the information on to her and she has taken the initiative in the war on nudibranch terrorism :) 2 removed so far this morning. By the time I get home from work there won't be any fun for me to be had. :lol:

Are the eggs little dotted spirals? Most of the pics on that reefcentral thread don't show up so I couldn't see the egg sack pics. If they are the dotted spirals I have seen a few of those.

[Several times already took a short-term loan on the official website. I am a responsible person, so I do not do delays. I clearly follow the speed of money entering my account when repaying a loan. So far, everything went fine. In reality, when money is urgently needed, this is the way out. The main thing is to calculate everything (including the risk of force majeure). So that there would be no later, in the bustle not to look for money to pay off.]