No more Softie Land - (Updated) 986

Well here is my year end update and full tank shot.... Hope you guys approve. :)

My SPS are growing steady and I think they are holding up well for being in a softie tank :)

Here is one of my largest leathers (Basketball Size)
largeleather2.jpg
alt="">

Here is my Staghorn with red bugs that keeps hanging in there...
decstag.jpg
alt="">

This was just a pic to show how full my tank is getting!
sideview.jpg
alt="">

And finally a full tank shot! :D
decfull.jpg
alt="">

Thats gotta be the nicest softie tank that I have seen since brad wards, your doing something right man, keep doing it! You gotta get another tank for sps, keep them seperate please! Everyone I see gets into sps and boom, sps dominated tank, your tank looks amazing with just your softies, I think its hard to do but you did it. Keep the pictures coming

Thanks so much for the compliments!

My main goal putting together a soft coral tank was to create as much color as possible and use different textures. I noticed a lot of soft corals are the same color and have the same look, so I just figured I would try to make it look like something from the ocean that's full of every color, shape, and size.

I really do like the SPS tanks, but I enjoy the sway of the corals because of the natural look.

Thanks again.....

Bill that looks really nice! I love soft coral tanks and I often think about setting one up! I also agree with you on the lower bioload it makes taking care of the tank so much easier! Keep up the good work.

Keith

Bill,
I remember when you got that tank. It looks fantastic. Great job, I like the look of a softy tank. Can't wait to see it again in person.

Well it's been a couple of months since my last update and I have had to do a little overhaul to my tank due to problems, so I thought I would post some pics.

I have added different birdsnest corals due to their hardiness and less chemicals. Plus in order to lower toxin levels I reduced the amount of soft corals to see if it might help.

Plus I picked up this little guy:
firefish.jpg
alt="">

Large Green Birdsnest:
greenbird.jpg
alt="">

Full Tank Shot:
febfull75.jpg
alt="">

Side View:
sideview75.jpg
alt="">

Very nice - glad to hear everything turned out pretty well for you. I'm working on my own softie land hopefully in time mine will look half as good as yours.

Thanks guys...

Matt,

Your going to have to come by and show me how to grow coraline! Since I started adding SPS I can't keep up with all the calcium/alk stuff. Hopefully I will be setting up my calcium reactor this weekend and see if that helps.

@Steven wrote:
Bill said:
I think it's doing good! All of the tips have grown from the small breaks and the whole coral has nice polyp extension. Plus I think it's really soaking up the new rays from the MH.

Thanks again :D

Yes! That tank looks great. I know you were having problems a few weeks ago, but it looks like all is well again. Keep up the excellent husbandry.

Well as most of you know I removed a lot of soft coral yesterday. It's kind of depressing because my tank looks like crap now. :sad:

Here is a full tank shot yesterday with softies... :D

finalsoft.jpg
alt="">

Here is why you should never frag soft corals inside your tank! (Brown Water)

leatherfrag2.jpg
alt="">

This is what the tank look like today.... :sad:

newstart.jpg
alt="">

Change can be painful, but change is inevitiable (Except from a Coke machine) and quite often for the best...

Just think of how much room you have now to add new stuff! :)

Bill,

It was because of your pictures of "Softie Land" that we decided to change our 55 gal tank and add softies to it. We do have some lps in that same tank though. Did you have trouble with the lps and softies together or just the sps. Also did you run carbon 24/7 and did that help? If you want to get rid of that pulsing softie, we would love it, and keep it in "softie land jr"

Jerry and Gigi

It is amazing that your tank looks that good in it's "bad hair day" phase. It still looks great. I am excited to see what you do next.
-Chuck