New Luminarc Minis - Finally came in!!

Through the help of a fellow member here (Thanks Robert!), I ordered some luminarc mini's in June. I was told that the wholeseller was waiting to get the new ones in. Supposedly, the new reflectors had a new design and were 16% more reflective than the older model.

The new reflectors are round! 8) I was finally able to pick them up on Friday. Tonight, I decided to unbox them and check them out. The pics are below. Remember, they still have the factory film on them.

Here they are in the box:

minisboxed.jpg
alt="">

Here they are on my floor:

minisunboxed.jpg
alt="">

Here are the measurements - Just under 15-7/8":
minimeasurement2.jpg
alt="">

Close up:
minimeasurement.jpg
alt="">

And, Finally, the back of one:
miniback.jpg
alt="">

-Chuck

Very cool Chuck. Keep us posted on how they work out. I need new reflectors for the canopy I'm building and these look interesting. How does one mount these things anyway?

I can mount them through the hole in the top. I am going to make a rack and then skin it. I will take pics tomorrow, but when I pulled the film off, they were very shiny! I am very excited to see what they can do!

-Chuck

How tall are they? I don't see a way to put a splash shield in this one like you can with the square or rectangular ones.

I am so jealous I am waiting for paypal to release some funds so robert can order me some....

That is a good question as I heard the are making hqi version for these new luma bright reflectors. I wonder if they come with a rounded shape splash guard

@Marc wrote:
How tall are they? I don't see a way to put a splash shield in this one like you can with the square or rectangular ones. said:
They are 7" tall. They do have a lip for a splash guard. I am not sure how you would get one in , though. I imagine it would have to be in 2 pieces.
-Chuck

I am excited about them. I have coralvue ballasts to use with reeflux 12K bulbs. Now, I need to make a rack or canopy to put them in.
-Chuck

@kuyatwo wrote:
I am so jealous I am waiting for paypal to release some funds so robert can order me some.... That is a good question as I heard the are making hqi version for these new luma bright reflectors. I wonder if they come with a rounded shape splash guard said:
they do make them for DE

I was reading a thread in RC that said that these are not actually luminarcs. There appears to be some accusations that the company that made these stole designs or something like that. I am not sure of the details. I am very glad that I got them. They may not be on the market long.

-Chuck

Chuck,
Those look great but alas, wont fit in my Canopy :cry:
I dont see how Luminarc can state that they're rip offs as from the looks of it, it's standard FACETTING that you see in cut gemstones (think of what the pointy side of an emerald looks like). I'd also bet that I can get the angles for these from one of my gem cutting guides for them.