New closed loop...finally!

[I can feel the love,, all in the chair that she types from,, just anticipating someone else to say " I HAVE MORE BUBBLES THAN LAWRENCE WELK, HELP ME" and she will be the first to pipe up,,,, you sit and watch.....

:)]

[LOL!

I cant believe what a silly simple solution it was! Marc said it work, and it did :nod: I really didnt think it was a factor since air sits in that section anyways....]

[Im getting ready to build my own closed loop but wanted to know if it is possible to control the amount of flow going back into the tank. Im going to be using a MAG 7 but want to be able to control some of the flow. Im also interested in the ball valve idea. Is this something you can get from HD or Lowes?

Thanks]

[Yes you can get ball valves at HD or Lowes. You will lose 30% of your pumps capacity with the SQWD so they may not be necessary depending on the size of the tank, and what you are trying to accomplish.

On a separate note, my mag is elevating my temp at least 3 degrees. It is turned off for now. Is it possible the pump is working too hard? What can I do to cool it?]

[You could point a fan directly at it. The fact that it is plumbed externally is one of the reasons it is raising your temps. The other is amount of work it is having to do. Having it as a closed does make the headloss negligable, but it's still having to work harder than if the pump were closer (shorter pipes).]

[Amanda,
I have a new appreciation for just how much work you did to build this. I spent all day today building a closed loop for my new tank and I'm not even close to finished yet.

5 Trips to Home Depot. I STILL have to go back tomorrow b/c 1 10ft section of PVC wasn't enough.

I based the design on the one from Marc's page. I've modified that configuration substantially but it was very helpful to get me started.

Did you get the heat issues worked out? Heat is going to be a major concern for me for several reasons. I'm using a smaller pump for the SCWD (Mag 7) so hopefully the effect will be smaller.]

[I finished my closed loop last night but Im still getting micro bubbles from the jets. Before installing I did put plumbers tape on the 4 screws on the pump. Is there anything else I can do to stop this? Both jets and the intake are completely submerged.

Thanks]

[New plumbing makes bubbles for the first couple of weeks until things slime over.]

[Thanks Chris, it was a good bit of effort and quite time consuming!
I havent worked out the heat issues yet, but plan to tackle that this week. You shouldnt really have too much heat trouble, if everything is working correctly. I have two other mags on the same system that dont contribute nearly as much heat as this one. On that same note, I used this pump as a mixing pump for awhile and that water was always hot as well. It may be an internal issue in my pump, Im just not sure yet.
Good luck getting it finished!

Yes new plumbing does make bubbles for awhile. If you are having a serious amount of air you may want to take at look at everything again to be sure you didnt miss something. You can also turn the pump off for a few minutes to let any bubbles in the housing rise to the top, incase the air is coming from your pump.]

[Do you have a picture on the plumbing on the inside of the tank?
Would like to see how you set yours up.]