New closed loop...finally!

[The finished product went for a test run on the front first to be sure their were no leaks. So far so good and it has now been put in place.
I am having some major air issues, so if you can think of why please help me out!

closedloop.jpg
alt="">]

[first of all great job,, second,, how deep is the intake in your water?

Magdrive pumps external will sometimes suck air in,, you have to put plumbers tape on the head of the pump and around where the stainless screw are..

Nathan]

[Thanks Nathan, I got the problem solved. I didnt tape the threads on the cap whre it is primed, figuring they werent a factor because of the height..... So threads taped - prob solved :sniffle: Sheesh, thankfully it was simple!]

[LOL Scott... actually it would be cool to put one like that on the short side of the tank so you could have alternating linear flow..... IMO..]

[You might want to put a ball valve on the inlet and outlet. Both will prevent siphoning during maintanance, unless you want to completely remove the system. The one on the outlet will allow you to adjust the flow.

Just a idea. Looks great though :) What is the height to the top of your stand?]

[LOL! I had to test it!

The stand is 32" high.

The ball valves are a great idea! Too bad its all glued, but that would be a really good mod for it.]

[I see a lot of places to put the valves :shifty: All you need is a hacksaw :beerchug:]

Edited By crash519 on 1097452609

[
plu-pvcpc_big.jpg
alt="">

If you don't have one of these then you should get one.
The one in the photo is $3.99
The one I bought at HD was 12 bucks.

Easy to use and save tons of time and arm aches.
http://froogle.google.com/froogle....roogler

http://www.toolprice.com/product/2128D

Nice job Amanda. What size of pump are you using?

Ant thoughts about bringing the pump up to the edge where the tank sits on the back? Make a little shelf for it to sit on which would shorten the distance it has to draw water and also push water which makes it a lot faster GPH back into the tank.
Are you coming to the frag party Saturday?]

[What size plumbing did you go with?

The part where the water goes into the pump has a lot of connections. What are all those for? The union you bought should have fit right on the pump itself.]

@Marc wrote:
[ The union you bought should have fit right on the pump itself.] said:
[The outlet side of a Mag pump is a male threaded, but the inlet side is female threaded, and is the union. So you need as adapter to get them together.]

[Pump is a mag 12, and I nixed the shelf idea because there is no head pressure. Also if the pump was to sit on a shelf it would be a lot harder to access easily, not that its easy now by any means!
The plumbing is all 1", which should be larger according to mag specs but I figured with the SQWD it wouldnt matter much.
Yep, what Rick said. If they make a union that fits the inlet side, its not sold in Sherman :laugh long: It probably could have been a shorter connection, but they didnt have a couple of fittings that I would have preferred. The other union fit perfectly on the outlet.
Im not 100% sure on the frag party, Ill have a better idea later in the week.

Andy, andy, andy :glare: You makin fun of my super snail flippin spoon! LOL!
The tile under the tank sits slightly below the carpet level and my block needed a hair of support :p]

[Nice job Amanda. I love closed loops. I made mine with 3/4" pipe which I now regret but it is still pretty good. I'm waiting for them to come out with the 1" SQWD version then I'll redo mine with bigger plumbing but that has been rumored for a year now and has yet to come to fruition.]

[My Oceansmotion Squirt is on it's way along with a couple of 90 degree revolutions and 2 180 degree revolutions. I thought I'd try it and see how it worked out. I like the idea of negligable flow loss, inlike the SCWD. I'll post pics of it when it is up and running.]

[Just got one question Amanda; Did you make enough for everyone? :tongue:]

[Thanks Keith, I considered waiting for the one inch as well, but Im glad I got it over with!

I looked at the OceansMotions when they started coming out but didnt give them a whole lot of thought. Total my CL cost half that.
With the Cl and the return, I now have ~3000gph turnover!

Did you make enough for everyone? said:
Well...building it was fun, but not that fun :laugh long:]