NEED SUMP BUILT + PLUMBING. DO YOU KNOW OF ANYONE? (PICS)

Alex

Premium Member
Hello Ladies and gents,
I would like to hire someone to build me a custom sump with a tray and also "glue" the plumbing. Do you know of anyone that can do a "turn-key" job? Need to replace the bulkheads and install a manifold to gravity feed my new skimmer, chiller and a couple of other "machines".

I have spoken to Marc Levenson and really liked his sumps. He told me that he would be able to build me any sump I wanted but I had to take the measurements and install it myself. I'm not good with pvc and flex spa, etc, so I'm afraid I would screw something up so I'd rather not take the responsibility.

I may have to do it if I don't find anything else, but I would prefer someone to make a home visit take measurements and give me their ideas on what/how to build it.
Or I can just hire someone to do the plumbing and Marc can build me the sump...

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

If you have a phone number for somebody please PM me.

Thank you in advance for all your help.
Alex

@hitillidie wrote:
Marc said:
Yeh, Marc Levenson is the peron I referred to on my original post. He's is the same person as to who you've mentioned (the DFWMAS president). Marc can build me the sump that I want but I also would like to find somebody to do the plumbing... Any references on the plumbing portion of the project would be appreciated.
Thnks again Alex

There are some very helpful people in the club that may help you for as little as a beer. I know you have kind of explained what you want done in your first post. Can you give alittle bit more info as to what all you want installed? Maybe even a pic, or two, of the stand or room you want it installed in? That may help anyone who may volunteer to help you.

Tremelle, great idea on the beer. I 'll buy a few cases and we'll have a party after the plumbing is done. Everyone is invited!!!

OK, your comments are most appreciated so I re-evaluated the project and broke it up into three portions.
But first of all what created the project was my purchase of the DELTEC AP702 skimmer. By the way I noticed you own one too, so I'll be joining the NOG club. I hope you 're happy with yours. Mine will come in Friday. So with the new skimmer, I have to install a larger sump, and would like to gravity feed it, as well as the chiller so I can eliminate a couple or three pumps. Therefore the requirement for a valve manifold. A picture of something equivalent follows. ECO Aquatic sells this particular one.

The 3 portions of the project.
1) The measurements of the sump and sourcing the material for the manifold valve. I've decided that I will take extreme care and double-triple measure the sump dimensions myself as well as purchase all the material I will need from either ECOAQUATICS.com or Home Depot.

2) I will go back to Marc with the new skimmer on hand and ask him to build me a sump that the skimmer will fit in, etc...

3) The "hard" part (the plumbing)
Take a look at the tank/cabinet first..
tankandcabinet.jpg
alt="">

Now a picture of the cabinet with the drain line in the middle.
Underthecabinetanddrain.jpg
alt="">

Then the cabinet with the old and underpowered skimmer in the middle front.
Underthecabinetwithskimmer.jpg
alt="">

And here is the manifold I would like to connect to the drain line so I can feed the skimmer and chiller and the "rest" in the sump. ...and one extra for future use. First though I would like to change out the two bulkheads (return and drain), install the manifold on the drain side, and install a 1 inch gate valve on the return for regulating the flow going up to the show tank. Right now I have a mag2400 as the main pump and at 6 ft head it is pumping 1800gph.
gatevalvemanifold.jpg
alt="">

Well that's the project. How many cases of beer should I go get?

Thanks for your interest and suggestions.
Alex

Your best bet would be to draw out HOW you want to see it plumbed. this will provide a rough estimate or roadmap as to how the flow and layout should be. I saw the pics and my concern is for all the wiring. :shock: PLEASE tell us you have several levels of protection

@Firewolf4 wrote:
Your best bet would be to draw out HOW you want to see it plumbed. this will provide a rough estimate or roadmap as to how the flow and layout should be. I saw the pics and my concern is for all the wiring. :shock: PLEASE tell us you have several levels of protection said:
Russ, PROTECTION??? Well, when I'm up on the ladder reaching in the tank with one hand and plugging the MJ1200 with the other wet hand, I make sure I'm not grounded. Am I protected enough?... or should I be stepping on a wood block? :D :lol:

In all honesty, what is your question about the wiring and "second level protection". What do you mean?

I will also post a drawing on the gravity fed flow and connections.
Russ, please explain. BTW, I 'm good with wires but not with PVC. :lol: :lol:
Alex

Where are you located at? If you know EXACTLY how you want it run, I might be able to help you with the install of all the plumbing. I do plumbing(new house construction) so I know how to glue a thing or two:)

This is what I'm trying to build and connect to the drain bulkead.
Gravityfeeddiagram.jpg
alt="">

It will also be very nice if I 'm able to change out my current drain and return bulkheads and also add one more gate valve in the return line, before the bulkhead so I can adjust the return flow if needed to be.
Any volunteers? Name your price...
thanks Alex

Remember that your drainline will contain water <u>and air</u> combined. In most applications, it is better if the skimmer is fed only water (and mixes air where it is intended to do so) and I'm sure a chiller is the same way. The refugium section can accept air and water without a problem.

I'm sure this will be a great setup, as we have a bunch of bright people here.

Regarding the electrical, things like GFCI switches or GFCI breakers are good. Splash guards are good. Getting the electrical rearranged a bit to keep it dry, including using drip loops help.

We really are a crazy bunch combining saltwater and electricity - using a million outlets in a very small area. :shock:

Hello Marc, my new skimmer will be here tomorrow soI'll call you to come visit you about the new sump next week.

About your comment on the mixed air and water via gravity feed, do you have any suggestions on how to eliminate the air especially from the chiller feed? Would a Y work better than a T?
Alex

Maybe more like a P trap, perhaps. Or a riser vent, like some skimmers utilize. Air would breathe out the riser tube but hopefully all water would flow out the elbow and into the chiller.

The other option is to use some of the return pump to feed the chiller, as that water would be bubble free. That would also avoid the need to use an extra pump, which you indicated was one of your goals.

I've see what you want, I've seen Deltec plumb gravity feed. Not real hard, few thing you can do to keep air out of the skimmer so it doesn't fluctuate. But why not put a mag 7 on it and be done with it, it only need 610gph flow to work efficiently. Mag 7 don't take up much space.

If needed, I may be able to help, depend on when. Let me know.

Alex,
I live off Preston a few blocks south from you in the Prestonwood neighborhood, so I am close by and would be happy to swing by and take a look at the system and maybe give you some advice. I wouldn't say that I am a proffessional, but I do have some good experience in the plumbing of tanks after building my own sump and plumbing a few tanks now.

shoot me a pm and we can find a time if your interested.

Great choice of skimmer. I love mine to death. I had Marc make me an acrylic stand for my skimmer. As far as putting it in sump, I would avoid that if at all possible. I don't know the size of your stand or the heigth. From your pics, space seems to be at a premium.

The reasons why I wouldn't:
- AP 702Footprint= 19" x 19", actually 20" x 20" with the pumps, would make your sump have to be pretty wide.
- In Sump Install = The opening of the top of the sump would have to be a minimum of 19" x 19" (20" x 20") to remove the skimmer. Then add more width for the sump bracing. All of a sudden you have more stand space used by the sump. To remove the skimmer from the sump will require at least 17" of head room above the sump, with the collection cup removed.
- 2 Recirc Pumps Adding Heat = By installing in the sump, you will be adding the heat from the two Ehiem pumps to your sump water. Your chiller will be removing that extra heat, running more electricity. The Eheims don't put off much heat, but some.
- Not Viewed As Well = That skimmer is too damn sexy to hide it. :)

Here is a pic of the stand and install of my skimmer. I am using a Quiet One 3000 for the supply pump.

ap702stand.jpg
alt="">

ap702stand1.jpg
alt="">

Tremelle, good point on the larger sump. If I put the skimmer in it, I won't be able to get it out without getting the sump out. Man, I'm glad you mentioned that. Now I have to have Marc build me a "smaller" sump to the side of the skimmer, (kinda like your setup). Well, I'll unpack it tomorrow and look at the space and then decide on the sump. But I think I'm pretty sure it will be gravity fed from the overflow.

My stand is 70" long and 22" wide on the inside. I am using a 40 gallon breeder tank as a sump. It is 36" long x 18" wide, the skimmer is 20" square, so I had 14" x 22" to get everything else installed. In the first pic, you can see how that was accomplished.

Something else to consider. Line the bottom of your stand with rubber pond liner. I had that idea while putting my tank together. If anything leaks in the stand it will be contained inside the stand, not leaking onto the floor. Of course it will not contain your whole tank water volume. I was out of town earlier this year and had a leak. It worked like a charm. No water on the floor and it was easy to clean up.

Brilliant!!!

A pond liner is a great idea. Where did you get yours from? ...and do you apply some type of glue underneeth it, so the thing will to stick to the floor and the side of the walls?

When I ordered my first sump I ordered a tray also, but half of my stuff is off the tray and water still gets on the floor.