Need help with possible SPS bugs

nobody

Membership Expired
Two of my month old SPS frags bleached from the base up this week! Looking closely at the tank, I see many small crustaceans, but they don't look like the dreaded red bugs or AEFW. Anyone knows what these guys might be? I don't see them on the healthy SPS (yet).

Crawling on the bare SPS skeleton.
[attachment=1]IMG_0949.JPG[/attachment]
They are crawling on the front glass.
[attachment=0]IMG_0950.JPG[/attachment]

Looks like flat worms but it's hard to tell with the pics.
Try flat worm exit if they are or get a wrasse that will eat them up.

Look like common FW not AEFW you can't see those with naked eye cause then are just about translucent, and red bugs are very small. That is a lot of FW but not likely the cause of your coral death.

Thanks for the feedbacks!

I think I freaked out yesterday about these, too. The fish don't seem to care for these guys and they appear to be on dead corals, but I have yet to see any of them on live corals. Hoping its stay this way!

Thanks Matt! Time to get a magnifying glass and try to really see these guys. This hobby can be so frustrating at times!

agree with matt need to look at getting rid of them, or atleast bring down the pop. As it hard to 100% remove once you have them. but if you see that many you have a lot...you can't jsut put FW exit in. you need to try to reduce as much as possiable as dead FW can whipe out your tank. Some sort of wrasse, will help a lot.

I think the SPS losses were caused by my 2-week old Flame angel. I'm not certain, but it appears that way. I know the risk of having dwarf angel, just "hope" he leaves the rest alone! Unfortunately, I don't think I can dip any of the SPS because most of them have encrusted on the epoxy that I used to glue them to the rocks. I have a 6 line wrasse for about 2 months now. Hoping he'll eat these.

How big is your tank? your 6 line may not like it but you may try another wrasse, if your tank is big enough. in the small area's you show that is a lot of FW that means you have 100s you can't see. I am suprized with 6 line that you have that many. Also a 6 line will not touch AEFW that I am aware of. AEFW are pretty dang tough to get rid of pretty much have to dipped multiple times to get rid of them. And all SPS would have to be dipped at once (not same container just all same session) to be affective.

I have had FW eat Acros that you can see. They were a little bigger then these ones you have. I used flatworm exit every 3 days and changed water. Also would super dip the corals I could get out. Like 30 drops in a gallon of water. Splash the corals around a lot for about 5-10 mins just to make sure the FW would drop off. After that place in tank and do double the dose for flatworm exit. I added a sixline and haven't seen any worms in over a year. Also started dipping all new corals that I add with a bunch of things including FW exit

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

I surely would not treat for AEFW until you know for sure you have them. I would try to dip a couple colones if that's not possiable try a couple frags from each colony.

I disagree with coral rx dip though I would use the Byers treatmeant much less harsh on coral I've never lost a coral from it and beat AEFW with it when I grew out sps. Only issue with Byers is its milky and can't see what you kill easly. You can of you empty container slowly or go get a cheap fine sprainer even paper one used for paint would work and then you can see what you killed.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. At this point, I don't think I have AEFW. So, I'll continue to observe and get ready for any necessary treatment if the problem doesn't improve. My tank is 220G, so I think I can have another wrasse. If I was to get another one, what would you recommend? I haven't done much research about these little FW, but will the Mandarin eat them?

Thanks,
Khoa

I believe a Mondrian will eat the, but not 100% in that. But your tank should be big enough for a Mondrian and another wrasse. Some options. Yellow coris, melanarus, mystery, Scarlet Pin Stripe(same body as mystery different cheaper color).

Those look like normal planaria to me. Flatworm eXit will get them out of the tank. http://www.melevsreef.com/node/651