Need help with my aquarium. All corals are dying off.

Lenard.furr

Premium Member
I've had my aquarium up and running for a year and a half now, and all of a sudden about two months ago all of my corals started dying off. I have a montipora, some zoas, gsps, mushrooms, and a finger leather. Even the rbta is looking a little sad. All the fish seem to be doing well . I took a sample of water to my local store and all the normal parameters checked out. Anyone have any ideas about what might be going on?  <ol>[*]The most recent picture I have of when it was good is not that good, but I've included it to show how things looked before. View attachment 8633</ol>

Here are a few questions to get us started.What did the store test for?What were the results?What is your cleaning program? water changes, etc.Have you made any changes?Tell us a bit more about your tank, lights, sump, water circulation.

I believe they tested the normal stuff.  Nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, phosphates, pH.  All levels were normal, except phosphates were a little high.  I have been running media to get rid of that since I had it tested.   I do a 20-25% water change every two weeks.  No recent changes.  This is the same setup I have been running since I started the tank and all live stock has been in there for close to a year.    It is a 29 gallon corralife biocube.  I have two 50/50 CFLs for lighting that I run for about 10 hours a day.  Sump is in the back where I have a media reactor that I run chemipure blue in.  For flow, I have the standard pump and a wave generator for additional circulation.

Also if you are not running carbon I would. If there are any contaminants it will pull them out if you can run a large amount like in a reactor if possible 

No but I would get it up to around 1.025 or 1.026 would be a little more stable 

When was the last time you change the CFL bulbs?My suggestion will be to upgrade the light, if possible.You need to find the reason for the phosphates. What is the TDS on your source water?

I just changed the bulbs a week ago. Prior to that it had been about a year. When I replaced the bulbs last week, I started investigating converting to led. I'm not sure what tds means. I get all my water from my local reef store. 

Are the lights the exact same you had before?TDS stands for total dissolved solids, and represents the total concentration of dissolved substances in water. You want this number to be 0. Have your store test this on your next run.