Need Help... Fish keep dying

reeftopia

Premium Member
I am completely stumped on what is going on in my brothers-in-laws tank. He is new to the hobby and becoming incredibly frustrated. He set up a 20g Fusion tank the end of November. He has a ghost protein skimmer, media reactor, heater, AI Prime, and a Jebao 10 wave maker for equipment. Live sand and live rock from a 10 year established reef that is loaded with bio-diversity. He actually started with dry rock that he prepared carefully but later replaced fearing maybe they were part of the problem. Yes he probably should have started with a bigger tank being a beginner, but I have done Nanos for 20 years and thought I could help him to overcome newbie mistakes and the size fit his space requirements and seem less intrusive to my sister.
His rocks have several mushrooms, sponges, worms, some GSP, and a couple random zoas that were resident on the rocks. These are doing exceptionally well. He has a sand sifting star that has done great since the beginning and his snails seem to thrive along with his emerald crab.
Water parameters seem in-line with an occasional drop in pH to 8.0 and a slight trace of nitrite on occasion. But it never fails he will add a fish and it will do great for several days and then suddenly die. If there are 2 fish they die at the same time. The first one to die was a clown that I had given him that had been in several different tanks over the past 10 years for me so I knew its compete history. So last night the damsel he added to be a Litmus test died again. He is starting to call himself Doctor death as his casualty count is nearing 10. I fear he will leave the hobby soon if we can't figure it out. And to be honest is is cool to have someone to talk about the hobby with.
Thought this group of experienced experts will be able to shed some light on this. PLEASE HELP!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is he using tap water, rodi, or buying it at lfs? Could be something in the water (both salt mix water and ato water).
You said there are frequent traces of nitrites, what are his ammonia levels? What is the daily temp swing of his system? Has he checked for stray voltage? Just a few things that came to mind.

Also, is he using an ato? If not, could be big swings in salinity level, especially on a system that small.

Great points Mike R. He does have a grounding round in place. Temperature seems stable from what he has said. Like you mentioned it is in the probably in the water and that may be the culprit. He has used LFS water as well as water we have made. I have used the same water on my tanks with no ill affect.
The absence of a ATO seems to be a point that we have overlooked. I know he has said sometimes it is real low and he does not have water available to top off. Mike R I think you may have shed light on it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@reeftopia wrote:
He does have a grounding round in place. said:
There are a lot of opinions on these. I know Marc recommended them in this article: http://www.reefaddicts.com/content.php/45-How-to-Test-for-Stray-Electricity

However, if you search on Reef Central you'll find a huge thread with some very knowledgeable people arguing both for and against them. Regardless, I'd at least follow Marc's instructions in the article to test and see if stray voltage could even be part of the problem.

Also, unrelated to the fish issue, but in a tank that small I doubt the sand sifting star is going to last long. It'll consume all of it's food (the microorganisms from the sand bed) pretty quickly.

Reeftopia, where is your Bro in Law getting his livestock? If it is locally then that could be part of the problem, feel free to text me if you don't want to mention the LFS on the board. I would actually prefer it, I get a lot of my supplies from a certain LFS but will never buy another animal from them. 214-727-6911