my very first home grown coral (not a frag)

So the pics I am showing here are of a plate coral that started out as a small budling from some live rock that came from another tank. The friend who gave me this tank never purchased a plate coral this coral came from the natural live rock. A year or so later when he gave the tank to me, a small green coral started to grow out of the stock in the rock, at first it looked like a trumpet coral, but as the coral matured it got larger in diameter. One day I was working on the tank and I bumped it ever so gently, well that seem to be all it needed to unattach from its steam to start its new live on the sand of my aquarium. To my surprise there were two more baby plate corals growing underneath the main coral, it looks to me like I lucked out and have a little plate coral factory going on in my tank, and the best part of it is there are all American home grown corals right from a simple 10g grow out tank....Man life is amazing!! here are some pics enjoy.

Charlie

very cool...yea., plates are extremely hardy and will reproduce easily when even small fragments of the coral remain. ive only seen it one other time though, marcs coop corals. i bet if you broke off those two growing now, more would grow in their place.

i bet, that's how i uncovered those two little guys, I'm soon not going to have the room for 3 big plate corals and more to come!

i remember those when we picked up some of your corals, they were so cute and small! beautiful color on those plates too.

theyre doing pretty good actually. i know the staghorn is growing a bunch of little new blue tips, and i think the monti might be getting wider, ill have to take a new pic of it and compare the old pic with the new one to really tell. the color on the monti is gorgeous. the birdsnest looks the same as it did when i got it i think lol. any luck on growing more of those ricordia? i might have to get a chalice from ya next time im in dfw [smilie=wink.gif]

ill keep you posted on the ric's you will be the first notified, I think I might start cutting them to speed the process up.

Awesome, I'd appreciate it, I could use some more color in there, all my frags are tiny right now and don't show up much. I'll keep you posted on when I plan on visiting dfw next.