MY ALGAE SCRUBBER PROTOTYPE

DFW

Membership Expired
I have experimented for a number of months with a 1 sided algae scrubber, and through that have developed a liking for this technology! I like it enough that I decided to run one in place of my skimmer. This is very crude in construction, but I think that maybe it could be used as a jumping off point for a very simple scrubber that is easy to maintain, and keeps all the water where it should be, in the sump. I still need to refine the sheeting of the water on the growing surface, as some is squirting outward on one end rather than flowing downward. The top and the right side of the acrylic box are removable as one piece to provide access for removing the growing surface/plumbing for routine cleaning. I am including a couple of pictures now, and will offer others later.

Thanks for looking!

David

[attachment=1]algae scrubber left.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]algae scrubber right.JPG[/attachment]

I think a light on both sides would be even better. Hinges to swing it open for maintenance would be nice too.

There is a light on both sides. I made small acrylic holders that fit the reflectors. The reflector on the right is 8 1/2 inches, and the reflector on the left is 10 1/2 inches. I am using 2700K 23 watt curly fluorescent bulbs at this time.

If I were to hinge it, I don't think it would help. There is no room to swing anything anyway. The way that I have it now, I merely lift up the right side, which is hooked/hanging on at the top of the left half, and set it down out of the way. I did not want to have to lift the screen assembly out of the top when cleaning because water would drip on everything. This allows me to simply take the side off, and come right out the side with what needs regular cleaning.

Thanks for the input!

David

@franklypre wrote:
Definately looks like it should work. said:
I hope so! I would like to have LEDs, but this is simpler. The box is 3 inches wide, so reflectors are 1 1/2 inches from the screen. I could have made it closer. I don't know what the optimum distance would be.

David

Looks good. I think 1.5 inches should work well. What kind of lights are you running? I used 2700 screw in PC bulbs and they worked great.

In my experience growing algae isn't about optimum lighting distance, as long as you can keep it from clogging and getting good light it WILL work. I ran one for a while but I really just don't have the fish needed to support one, be sure to change those bulbs every few months. As far as LEDs they aren't really much better for ATS IMO, plus they don't like humidity. Oh and the first time you clean it use a toothbrush and try to smear the algae over the entire growing surface, which I assume you scruffed up. Best of luck

@M@! wrote:
Looks good. I think 1.5 inches should work well. What kind of lights are you running? I used 2700 screw in PC bulbs and they worked great. said:
Thanks!

I am using 2700K 23 watt CFL bulbs - the curly lamp bulbs. Surprisingly, they are bright enough to be hard to look at.

David

@franklypre wrote:
In my experience growing algae isn't about optimum lighting distance said:
Yeah, I am going to scrape it up some more tomorrow. I see a couple of little things I want to do to it before I turn it loose.

Thanks!

David

@washingtond wrote:
Cool said:
Thank you, sir! If my memory serves me, you have been running an algae scrubber for a while. May I ask how it is doing for ya'll? Are you still using it?

Thanks!

David

@DFW wrote:
[I]@washingtond wrote:[/I][quote="Cool said:
Thank you, sir! If my memory serves me, you have been running an algae scrubber for a while. May I ask how it is doing for ya'll? Are you still using it?

Thanks!

David"]

Yes I ran one for a while as an experiment and must say it worked really well. I and currently not using it as there really was not enough room in my sump under the tank when it came time to remove the algae growth from the screen which was about once a week after it took off. I know that you will have good results with yours.

@washingtond wrote:
[I]@DFW wrote:[/I][quote="[I]@washingtond wrote:[/I][quote="Cool said:

Thanks!

David"]

Yes I ran one for a while as an experiment and must say it worked really well. I and currently not using it as there really was not enough room in my sump under the tank when it came time to remove the algae growth from the screen which was about once a week after it took off. I know that you will have good results with yours."]

I could fit this and a skimmer in the sump if I re-plumbed the returns.It would be a little tight, but it would work. But I don't think it is necessary!

Thanks for the encouragement!

David

This has been running for almost a month. It has not had perfect sheeting of the water over the surface of the screen during most of that time. And water has tended to flow more on parts of the screen than others. And water has squirted outward, rather than flow down the screen in other places. I have tried several things to iron out these problems. A simple piece of felt material around the top of the pipe and fastened to each side seems like it might solve all these issues. We will see!

Here are pictures showing each side of the screen as of today:

[attachment=1]3 10 12 algae scrubber 10.5 inch reflector side.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]3 10 12 algae scrubber 8.5 inch reflector side.JPG[/attachment]

I am not cleaning the screens today, but will check them in a week, or so.

David

@McReefer wrote:
When running mine I was told to always get the black colored algae off. Just an FYI said:
I see some dark brown algae, but the green is slowly starting up. It won't be long before the good stuff takes over!

david

Well,

I cleaned a few globs of algae off the screen a week ago, but took no pictures. Here are some from today. The 10 1/2 inch reflector works better than the 8 1/2 inch. The 8 1/2 inch has the bulb too close to the acrylic, and doesn't spread the light as well as the larger one. There is still a lot of brown algae, but the green is spreading. Anyway, it's all hanging on to the screen, exporting nutrients when I wash it in the sink. I think that with my system it will only need one side cleaned every other week, or so. We'll see.

Thanks for looking!

David

[attachment=1]algae screen 10.5 inch reflector side.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]algae screen 8.5 inch reflector side.JPG[/attachment]

@claynguyen1973 wrote:
That's great David Clay Arlington said:
Thanks, Clay! I have been skimmerless for about 2 months now, I think. I don't notice any changes in the tank so far. I have been adding phyto regularly for over a month now as well.

David