Mitch's 240 Build Log

mitch91175

Premium Member
Well I am back in the game after a short hiatus. This time I am going with a 240 gallon (84x24x27) aquarium. I am looking to have a heavily stocked fish tank with lots of LPS/softies. Stay posted for more to come in the next few weeks.

So far I have the following in route or on hand:

Tank/Stand/Canopy ordered from My Exotic Fish & Corals (Rodney is the MAN!!!)
315 lbs of Live Rock ordered from My Exotic Fish & Corals
Reef Breeder 32 Photons LED x 2
Vertex Alpha 200 Skimmer
4 x Vortech MP40W ES Powerheads

Milwaukee Low Range Ammonia Photometer
Milwaukee Mi412 Phosphate Low Range Photometer
Milwaukee MA887 Digital Salinity Refractometer with Automatic Temperature Compensation

Here is what I am think about for my live stock once I get everything up and going:

Live Stock List:
Flame Fairy Wrasse
Purple Tang
Blond Naso Tang
Chevron Tang
Blue Tang
Flame Angelfish
Coral Beauty Angelfish
Anthias
Blennies
Clownfish
Hawkfish
Damselfish
Trigger fish
Foxface
Yellow Tang

Coral
Polyps
Anenome for clowns
Frogspawn
Acans

I am getting all of the above from Rodney with My Exotic Fish & Corals. He has been great to deal with on the entire system (tank/stand/canopy and live stock all with this build).

Here is a link to my original build log a few years back. http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=47245 It was a 210 gallon that I loved building out. I learned a lot from that build and will try in incorporate some of what I learned back then into this build. All input is definitely welcomed from the community throughout this build. I have been out for and while, but now it is that time.

Ordered the following this morning from BRS:

Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off
1 Gallon - BRS Bulk Premium ROX 0.8 Carbon

The pics above have the following:

5 x Vortech MP40W ES power heads
1 Mag 18 pump (going to use for water changes)
1 Mag 3 pump (just purchased for circulating water while curing live rock)
1 Reefbreeder Proton 24 (will go with 2 Proton 32s if need more light for tank)
Apex Gold System
VorTech Wireless Module: WXM - Neptune Systems
Neptune Systems I/O Breakout Box
BRS 5 Stage RO/DI Replacement Filter Kit
Vertex Alpha 200 Skimmer with Vertex Vectra Engine Universal Cleaner Unit with 200mm Lid
Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off
1 Gallon - BRS Bulk Premium ROX 0.8 Carbon

Here is a pic of my live rock curing in 44 gallon buckets. Ammonia is almost 0ppm which is awesome. It has been curing for about 2 weeks. I made a 100% water change on each 44 gallon bucket on Sunday.

alt="">

Quick update. When I got home I had some new goodies waiting for me at my front door. I got my Vertex Libra doser and vessels in the mail. Here is a pic I took of it all:

alt="">

Exciting! I am doing initial planning right now (far from starting my own thread).

What type of overflow will you be running? I am wanting to go with something very quiet. I currently run a RedSea Max S500 (120G) which is super quiet so I will be wanting something just as quiet as my current setup

@natas wrote:
Exciting! I am doing initial planning right now (far from starting my own thread). What type of overflow will you be running? I am wanting to go with something very quiet. I currently run a RedSea Max S500 (120G) which is super quiet so I will be wanting something just as quiet as my current setup said:
I am going with a center overflow for this build. I wanted the extra space for a aquascaping and pure water volume. It will have 1 1/2" drains and 3/4" returns. I would ideally like to turn it about 6/7 times per hour.

For return pump I am thinking about going with the hybrid Reef lo Snapper/Dart. Anyone have any suggestions on the return pump besides that particular hybrid?

Well I finally began the break-in process for my Vertex Alpha 200 skimmer. This skimmer is awesome. Here are some pics of it skimming:

Working to get dialed in:
alt="">

Dialed in:
alt="">

It is also super quiet. Compared to the ASM G4+ that I had when I did my other build, this skimmer blows it away. Setup was a breeze and I like that I can completely break the skimmer apart for maintenance. Worth every penny!!!

Once I put the skimmer in one of my 44 gallon jugs with the live rock curing, in almost no time the water clarity is much better than before.

Got home today to check out the skimmer and everything is going great. Updated pic:

alt="">

I also had two new additions to the build waiting in a box . I got my 2 - NextReef MR1 reactors for GFO/carbon:
alt="">

I originally ordered 2 Reefbreeder 32" Protons for this build, but have made a slight change to use the new Aqua Illumination Hydra 52s for this build. I should have four of them coming in the mail sometime next week. I also got some great news from Rodney with My Exotic Fish & Coral today that my tank will be available next week. I cannot wait to get it home so I can begin the real setup process.

Well I got some more goodies in the mail today thank to BRS. I received the following today for this build:

4 x AI Hydra 52s
Apex AWM for Hydra 52s
Various Salifert Test Kits
Hanna Alkalinity Checker

alt="">

Now just waiting on the tank/stand/canopy so I can see how big of a sump/refugium that I can fit in the stand and still have room for equipment, etc.

Very nice start! Can't wait to see the tank stocked a full. If you still have my number hit me up some time.
It's all because of you and the 90g I bought from you years back that I'm a reef addict lol!

@b22 wrote:
Very nice start! Can't wait to see the tank stocked a full. If you still have my number hit me up some time. It's all because of you and the 90g I bought from you years back that I'm a reef addict lol! said:
Glad I was able to support someone else's addiction to the hobby as well. It is funny that now I am back in the game I am following the path that I did on this build years ago. The only difference's today is that there is a lot of new toys that we did not have back then.

Mitch, the tank looks AWESOME!!! I am glad that you like the tank and stand...the quality is unbelievable!

I cant wait to see the tank with fish in it!

Rodney Hicks
My Exotic Fish & Corals
469-682-8841