Mini Brittle Star Crysis

ok i bought some coral from NHA and unknown to me they had mini brittle stars now there everyware [smilie=crying.gif] is there anything that would eat them and are they a danger to my tank i have tried picking them out but there are just to many of them [smilie=angry.gif] idk what to do know im at my wits end here lol

Don't pick them out. They are great for your tank. You couldn't have gotten a better hitchhiker. You need to be thanking DNA.

why are they good i have been told that there bad all they do is stay in the cracks of the rock with there arms sticking out of them i was told that they would eat my corals and fish when they get bigger

I haven them through out my tank and they cause zero issues. The only complaint I have is that I never get to see all of them, normally only see the legs dangling around.

they make for great detritus and excess food eaters, they don't get very big but do a great job with cleanup

I go out of the way to save the lil guys when I change out carbon, clean sponges off, etc

@robro3282 wrote:
why are they good i have been told that there bad all they do is stay in the cracks of the rock with there arms sticking out of them i was told that they would eat my corals and fish when they get bigger said:
that couldnt be more incorrect. they will not get much bigger than you see now. they are in the cracks eating excess food and waste, cleaning your rock. there is a large green star fish that has been known to go after fish, but most stars are beneficial.

I have a bunch of brittle stars in my tank (both the minis and regulars) and they are great clean up crew. I also even have the big green brittle star that hs the bad rap, but I don't think it's really a danger to anything other than a super slow sandbed dwelling fish or one that is already sick. If you ever have a fish die in a spot that you cant reach, I don't think there is any clean up crew that will clear it out faster. None of them eat coral as far I've seen or read.

I have a bunch of them in my tank also. Love them, they help keep the tank clean.

Like said above, they don't eat your fish and they don't get bigger...."mini star fish".

thousands in my tank....they clean the glass at night and the rocks during the day....longest lasting and best "clean up crew" i have ever had

They are the all white (off-white) variety most are smaller in diameter than a thin pencil, about the size of a 16gauge wire.