Mg @ 2175 ?!?!?!?

My salifert test kit didn't come with a set of instructions , so I have been using this

http://www.reefs.org...-Profi-Test.pdf

When using that set of instructions I never get a reading below 2000. I noticed tonight that these instructions are from 1996 , is there any chance that these have changed and that my kit wasn't meant to be used with them ?

As of tonight my results are

Cal = 440
Alk = 7.28
Mg = 2175
po4 = .20

I am using RSCP salt , but the high Mg readings are also present with Reef Crystals & Aquavitro Salinity.

Any help would be great.

You may actually be up that high. Did you follow the directions exactly? Also when taking water from tank did you measure exact amount of water needed from tank? Did you feed or stir up your water before taking the tank water?

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

Take a sample of water into a local store compare the same water that you bring into the store and see what reading they have. Reef crystals does run close to 2000

@Eckolancer wrote:
Take a sample of water into a local store compare the same water that you bring into the store and see what reading they have. Reef crystals does run close to 2000 Sent from pay phone in the airport. said:
[Just got a different copy of test instructions from another reefer, and they did in fact change them. First test with new instructions = 1320. [smilie=whew.gif] ]

@Bryan wrote:
[I]@Eckolancer wrote:[/I][quote="Take a sample of water into a local store compare the same water that you bring into the store and see what reading they have. Reef crystals does run close to 2000 Sent from pay phone in the airport. said:
[Just got a different copy of test instructions from another reefer, and they did in fact change them. First test with new instructions = 1320. [smilie=whew.gif] ]"]

That is good sorry never used that brand. But RC runs a lot higher then 1300 in my past experience with it. I've tested it around 1600 most of the time or higher

Red Sea Coral Pro is high, but i don't think i've ever measure mine at 2175. mine have consistently been above 1300 though. it's usually in the 1400 range.

If your mg was that high your salinity would also be pretty high. Even if you compensate that would result in a possible ionic imbalance and you would then start seeing alk/ca irregularities.

i would double check with someone elses test kit but ron is right i would check the salinity and make sure its in range because the test kit is designed to test at a certain salinity. I have never seen mine that high and i use red sea pro salt and dose mag too