Mesenterial filaments on an acro

jccaclimber

Premium Member
I've seen plenty of mesenterial filaments with LPS corals before.  I've also seen a green slimer let out a thick coating of slime around its base to kill off zoas (bam bams, cleared a good half inch out once it started).  I had not until today seen them on an acro, and also not on algae.Mind you I'm guessing, but that's exactly what this looked like.  Sorry for the fuzzy picture, it's the best I was able to come up with without moving the rock.  The filaments were coming out of the same area the normal polyp comes out of, in this case on a Blue Matrix acro.  After looking around a bit more I found two other acros doing the same thing.Also interestingly they weren't coming from the closest polyp, but ones that were a layer or two in from the growth edge.  Total length around 1 cm.View attachment 5593

Yes, thanks for sharing.  I love these kinds of posts.  Instead of the algae, I wonder if something could be picking at it.

None of the three acros showed signs of being picked at and all three have a small algae free zone around them. The filaments weren't just waving haphazardly or blanketing the area, they were specifically attached to algae strands, so I think it was a deliberate attack.