MarcoG's 60 cube build

MarcoG

Membership Expired
Well, after being out for awhile due to less than ideal circumstances, which actually ended up being a blessing in disguise, I'm finally getting back in.......I knew I wouldn't be able to stay out for too long. [smilie=rofl.gif]

The only problem is the new house doesn't really have the room for a big tank. The wife had one condition: It has to look clean with absolutely no "spaceship" looking lights (lumenbright reflectors).

So, I was going to setup- a 34 gallon neo nano, until I came across a 60 cube at my LFS. Same footprint just taller. I showed it to the wife and she approved.

Tank:
Planet Aquariums 60 cube 24" x 24" x 24"
Internal Overflow
Black Trim (Need to cover top, so rimless isn't an option) [smilie=sadsmile.gif]
Modern Black stand

Lighting:
AI Vega Black [smilie=clapping.gif]

Filtration:
Custom Sump (builder not determined yet) with refugium
Reef Octopus Diablo XS160 Skimmer [smilie=devil.gif]

Return:
Sicce 3.0 will also power other forms of media I decide on late through a manifold.

Fish:
Not sure yet, but I want to go with a large variety of color. I'm pretty sure I don't want clownfish. We'll see.

I'm planning on using MarcoRock and building it around the overflow to maximize swimming room. This will be an SPS tank, with little to no LPS. Sand will be Tropic Eden Reef Flakes.

I also love propogation, but I can't have an extra tank in the house, there just isn't room. I'm thinking I may be able to incorporate a section in my sump, but I'm not sure there will be space.

Look what arrived today!!!!
yga4u8u5.jpg
alt="">
a3e2uzy5.jpg
alt="">

Quick update:

Tank came with clear silicone, but after seeing it I realized I really wanted black silicone. I'm waiting on the new tank and the stand should be coming in soon.

The stand is done, just waiting to pick it up from RR. Supposedly the tank was delivered to the wholesaler as well, but they're not sure..... If it is, I'll have both this evening!

Next on the to-do list:

Sump

Glad to see you're getting back into it. I'm still using your old sump even though it's so big I've had to come up with some creative solutions. Plus side is I have a big frag rack in the return section under LED's. Everything is growing like crazy.

If you need any zoas, palys, duncans, mini-bta, xenia, gsp, etc... to get started let me know and I'll hook you up. I'm overloaded with frags right now.

@Ben Runnels wrote:
Glad to see you're getting back into it. I'm still using your old sump even though it's so big I've had to come up with some creative solutions. Plus side is I have a big frag rack in the return section under LED's. Everything is growing like crazy. If you need any zoas said:
Good to know Ben, Dewana has seen it, but I'd like to come see what all you have sometime.

Did some work today:

Overflow drain and return installed. He water drops are from the bulkhead leak test. Dry as a bone!!! (Painting was done earlier this week)
e3uvu9er.jpg
alt="">

Preliminary rock work. Thoughts???
emeqy8a4.jpg
alt="">

I tried attaching it together with zip ties, but that didn't work. The great thing about this rock is that it is so jagged it locked itself together. I lifted the whole thing and moved it closer to the tank and it didn't budge an inch. It's in the tank now and I got it as close to the original stack as possible.

Some pics

[attachment=2]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375998957.186893.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375998971.130448.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375998983.482438.jpg[/attachment]