Looking for small custom aquarium builder or recommendations on where to get a similar sized shallow glass aquarium

Oscarmk

Premium Member
Hello,I haven't posted here in a long long time... I currently have a glass Planet Aquarium 75g, and I am getting a little tired of the size and base rock that unfortunately never got covered in coralline, and I am actually looking to down size, and also start with new rock. Now that I think I have more experience, I have decided on a minimalistic landscape with an easy to access sump using marine pure blocks as the primary rock filtration, big skimmer, filter socks, carbon and an algae scrubber.The build I have in mind is a shallow 15 inch aquarium, 28-36 length, 20-22 wide, want to keep it in the 45 gallon range to make it easy to manage. I would like a peninsula or corner overflow (definitely NOT an AIO aquarium), the most important part here is that even though the footprint of the aquarium will be small, I want to have plenty of space below the cabinet, so my idea was to somehow have a stand that will support the aquarium but also be significantly bigger than the aquarium so that I can easily fit a nice sump, top off container and algae scrubber.By far my main concern in this custom build is quality and reliability, not talking about low-iron glass (although that could be an option), but about thick panels and good silicone seals, coupled with a good oversized stand. I have never had an aquarium leak/fail thankfully, but this has always been my major concern with keeping an aquarium, I moved to a new house recently and the last thing I want is the aquarium failing.I am also open to the idea of it being acrylic instead of glass, I know it can possibly be more reliable, but I also know this greatly depends on who builds it, as it is significantly harder to build right.If anyone can recommend a builder or knows where I could get a similar sized NEW (it definitely must be new) aquarium and an oversized stand for it, please post here or PM me.Thanks,-Oscar

Have you considered a Lowboy frag tank?  It is 48x24x10 making it 50 gallons.   I know DNA sells them, and will also add a ghost overflow for I think around $140.  Not sure on there stand options.  I know when I was looking they had a cool metal stand but it was almost double the cost of the tank.

Posted by: Opus Have you considered a Lowboy frag tank?  It is 48x24x10 making it 50 gallons.   I know DNA sells them said:
I think it could be an option, but 10 height might be too low for viewing, 15 is pushing it already I think. I’ll go to DNA to take a look, thank you

I can understand that.  I personally like to view mine from the top.  I would love to setup a lowboy and fill it full of clams.Have you checked with Planet Aquariums?  I know they used to do custom tanks.  Not sure if they required a certain size before they would do a custom build.Also might want to ask on the facebook page, more traffic there.   I know there used to be a local guy that built tanks, not sure if he is still around.

Just did some searching and the local guy is David Varela (dvups1).  Looks like he has never signed on here since the board upgraded a few years ago so no idea if he is still in the game.Looks like your best bet is to go to your favorite LFS and have them get a quote from Planet Aquariums.  I would suggest Aqua Studios if you don't have a favorite.

Thank you everyone, I decided to get a quote for a planet aquarium from aquastudios. I decided on 36L*21W*15H which will hold about 47 gallons, also getting the stand from them, I went with 1/2 bottom glass thickness , 3/8 in the sides, rimmed, and with partial euro brace on the ends only, center overflow. Does this sound like it has enough thickness?, as I understand height is the primary factor for thickness, so 3/8 sides and 1/2 should be more than enough, with the partial brace and rim.I am planning to reuse all my equipment, would the reef octopus 150SSS Skimmer be too much for 45 gallons?, I will not be able to fit the ATO inside the cabinet, but everything else will fit nicely. I am planning to buy a small piece of furniture that will go right next to the aquarium and have the ATO hidden there, and the controller on top like I have it now, except the ATO is inside. The only thing I was considering changing were the lights SB Reef lights Wifi 32 as they will be now too big or a little overkill at 32’’, the same length as the aquarium, but could certainly work, was thinking of getting the new hydra 32 HD for a slimmer look, would a single one of this work?. I will be keeping softies and LPS only.