Looking for advice

mwilk19

Membership Expired
Hello,
I have a 150 gallon tall reef tank. This tank has been up and running for about three years. When I aquascaped the tank originally, I built the usual rock wall that had been prevalent for quite a while. Recently I had a spike in alkalinity and it caused a couple of my SPS frags to RTN. I'm at the point now where I'd like to change the look of the tank by going to a couple of bommies and a more open look. I've been fortunate that I've never had any disease outbreak in my tank. My fish have all been healthy. I have 4 tangs, a couple of clowns, a red spotted Blenny and a Watchman Gobie. I have a couple of concerns about doing this. Is there a chance that I could create a minicycle and wioe out my tank, and will the upset of the tank possibly cause an outbreak of ich by stressing the fish. I'm probably only going to have this tank for one more year as we will be moving and I won't be able to take it with me.

How deep is your sand bed? From my experience any spikes that may happen would be from a pretty deep bed (maybe 4+"), and not from just moving rocks. I personally think you're fine.

The sand bed is about 2". I'm developing a plan of attack. I'm on vacation this week, so I can devote an entire day to this project. Thanks for the reply.