Looking for a DIY chaeto holder for sumps

Capt_krill

Membership Expired
Ok, my sump is a Trigger Systems Elite 30". I have about a good softball size of chaeto in my refugium that is unravelling currently and blocking flow to the skimmer section of my pump, smalls pieces get through and get caught in a mesh filter to reduce microbubbles and is effectively slowing my return rate and filling up my sump.

Every couple of days I have to take the chaeto out, wrap it up into a ball again and cover it with a rock to keep it in place. Again, the cycle starts over, unravel, block, affects return rate.

So whats the easiest simplest way to make a chaeto holder that will allow adequate water flow through it, allow for ample lgiht from a FloraSun bulb to get to it but not kill it off by being in a holder?

Build you a box out of egg crate. Just cut you four sides and zip tie them together and place that in your sump and place your cheato in the box.

Just a quick thought.

@Lance6270 wrote:
Build you a box out of egg crate. Just cut you four sides and zip tie them together and place that in your sump and place your cheato in the box. Just a quick thought. said:
+1 - that sounds like an easy fix and will allow plenty of flow through AND you can make it whatever shape you would like!

What department is it in? Im looking at their online stores but cant seem to find it listed as eggcrate.

I was just going to reply, don't go asking for egg crate, it got me nowhere in 3 hours the first time I tried to go get some.

Oops guess I should have used the right name if you were going to look for it bit is about $12.50 per sheet.

Just called home depot and they knew exactly what i was talking about, i described it and they answered with this comment "are you talking about eggcrate?" I was taken back for a few seconds and asked again if it looks like a grid, her response, yup, we usually just call it eggcrate here instead of what its labeled as, diffuser. Picked a 24x24 sheet up for 12$.

ha, thats funny...total opposite reaction ive ever had...great ideo to hold the chaeto tho, just make sure you can easily open one side to trim.

I plan on making basically a rectangle with one of the sides open with wings. Think a UPS box opened up but instead of 4 flaps just 2, where the 2 flaps will be held down by rock.

This way if the chaeto needs trimmed i just need to remove the rocks, pick the entire chaeto holder up and snip whatever i need to. It will be tall and skinny-ish so it will have a wide area of flow, flowing through it, if you can picture it, a wall of chaeto on the refugium area. Makes a perfect breeding ground for pods and such as well.

@Capt_krill wrote:
I plan on making basically a rectangle with one of the sides open with wings. Think a UPS box opened up but instead of 4 flaps just 2 said:
You could skip the tops and just leave it open and sticking out of or even with water line. Thats how I store rubble and frag plugs.

I have rescued hermit crabs that feed off the rubble and plugs i get from LFS. But i get what your say. Only probelm is that chaeto floats...thats what is getting me into this problem to begin with. It floats and moves with the water flow and unravels itself from beneath the rocks i put on top of it.

Sorry I didnt make it clearer. If the sides of your "chaeto box" stick above your water level there will be no way for it to float over the sides.

Yeah I wouldn't put a top on it. Just have the sides that are downstream of the flow as high as the water level. It will be easier to trim and take care of. You are supposed to turn it over periodically but it sounds like you have a lot of flow going through there. In fact you might only need a three sided container to isolate it if you are cramped for room.

When u get it all done if you want some cheato I have a ton.

Well put it together and seems to be working very well, measured wrong however so its about 2 inches below the water line, so i just used a flat rock i had in the refugium and covered the top and sees to be holding very well. Changes the filter pad going from skimmer section to return and it seems to be a LOT less chaeto floating around and getting caught in the filter. Seems its working well. Probably going to get some pods from LFS to stock their home for some ORA Mandarins. :)

You covered the top with a rick also? It needs light to grow so you may want to find something different if that is what you meant.

I guess it shouldnt say covered, more like put a piece of tonga on top of it to keep the majority of the chaeto from floating to the top and spreading in the fuge. Besides that I have a 24" florasun bulb over the tank providing plenty of light for the chaeto to grow.

I will post pics tonight wes.