Live rock on bare bottom

cabo

Membership Expired
How many people do or don't put their live rock directly on the glass bottom? What are the pluses or minuses of doing this.

The tank I am considering this with has a tempered glass bottom.

Thanks for any input.

most people with bare bottoms put a hard plastic type seperator between the glass and the rock so you dont have a rock slide that shatters the glass and well, ends your sw venture.

I agree if you place your rocks well then no need for starboard. Acrylic rods or epoxy the rocks together then no need for starboard which can be a pain at times as detritus can get stuck between the starboard and the glass

@Wes wrote:
most people with bare bottoms put a hard plastic type seperator between the glass and the rock so you dont have a rock slide that shatters the glass and well said:
@kuyatwo wrote:
I agree if you place your rocks well then no need for starboard. Acrylic rods or epoxy the rocks together then no need for starboard which can be a pain at times as detritus can get stuck between the starboard and the glass said:
ah ha, yea...starboard, thats what it is...ugh, couldnt think of it to save my life...

You might want to put some gutterguard or something over the overflow to prevent that from happening again.

I would make sure all rock is secure like they said one rockslide can cause a big mess. Peg it, glue it, even epoxy it what ever you do make sure it's together. I've caused slides just by cleaning my tank, good thing I have a thick sand bed.

check the acrylic vendors we have listed at the bottom of this page http://www.dfwmas.org/lfs