Kessil Power Supply Getting Hot

MartinMan

Premium Member
I'm running four Kessils: A 360X, 360 WE and two 160s.  Lights are Daisy Chained all running into a Spectral X controller.   I'm thinking I may have miss matched the power units or something.  I know the power supplies on these lights run pretty warm, but these are really hot, almost too hot to touch.  Called Kessil Support, but have yet to get a hold of anyone.  Until I hear from them or can pull the lights I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with this.Thanks

if the power supply is getting hot you have to thinks to look at, first the psu itself which would go bad for 2 reasons.  first, chinese componants the psu is made of, or 2. the fixture itself icaused is causing the failure.  second the fixture itself, same 2 reasons but both revolve around the chinese manufactured componants used to make it.  people will start bashing but hate to tell you facts are facts 99% of electronic componants including the led bulbs themselves are manufactured in asia and this can be verified by opening up the componant and looking up the componants online.

I have 4 of the new Kessil 360X.  I had the power supplies velcro'd to the underside of my stand.  They would get so warm that they melted the glue on the velcro and would fall.  I have the same experience.  Seems somewhat normal.

Posted by: @bdare I have 4 of the new Kessil 360X.  I had the power supplies velcro'd to the underside of my stand.  They would get so warm that they melted the glue on the velcro and would fall.  I have the same experience.  Seems somewhat normal. said:
if that is normal for a kessil why on earth would anyone want to pay high dollar for them?  no offense but why should anyone that pays that much for an led light accept that as "normal" behavior?

Posted by: @bdare I don't think they are HOT said:
just warm enough, still warmer than chinese black box led units.  so again why should anyone want to pay a high price for something which is 99% asian manufactured ( capacitors, resistors, leds, etc).  other than to have bragging rights.  i will tell you, people want the bragging rights of having a name on the product it is really that simple.  aquarium products are not the only place you will see this behavior, you will also see it in guitar amplifiers, effect pedals, keyboards, home stereos, televisions, and everything else.  personally i have had better luck with the no name chinese stuff, people tout warranty of companies but here is the thing if you never need the warranty or the product fails after warranty expires anyway what good is paying a lot of money on brand x with wqarranty vs brand y without?  i have had several danner mag drive pumps fail in under 6 months but i had an old jebao that is now on its 4th owner and still working as good as the day it was new.

anyway, back on subject.  if the light or PSU is getting warm to the point of being hot there is a problem with it, an led fixture power supply should get no warmer than a laptop power supply or wall charge plug, if it does there is something wrong and electrical componants are getting warmer than they should be, i have cheap wall power supplies from like 2000 that have been plugged in 24/7 since the day they were bought and they feel cold to the touch and that is when they are actually in use.  another point i would like to make on the subject is this, i have a 1600 watt PSU in my PC that is running high end parts ( threadripper, rtx 2080, and enough rgb to enduce seizures LOL) and this monster is cool to touch ( and yes it runs 24/7) and i run a system stress test every few days especially in the summer and it still runs cool to the touch.  so again if the psu is running warm there is a problem with the circuit design or componants.  i mean i cant actually compare the led unit you guys have to anythign as i do not have your lights and i personally dont own a kessil ( nor do i want one). 
i have read things from other kessil owners claiming their lights "warm" was similar to that of a T5HO and in some cases a low wattage metal halide and that should NEVER happen from an led.