Keeping ONE Clown

Every time I think of Clownfish I picture a pair, most people keep them in pairs and I've seen most stores sell them in them too. I really want Black Ocellaris but they aren't the cheapest around. So I figured I could get one, it also came to mind that this would give me a little more freedom in choosing fish because of the fact that I am only getting one. Would this be acceptable? Thanks,
-Mikii

They really seem happier in pairs however I have seen tanks with just one. I think if budget constraints require one at time just start with one... As far as bioload it would allow for one different fish any ways right?

I wont be pairing them up, and yes, it would allow me one more fish but the tank would be more diverse in which I like. Anyone have any experience with just keeping one?

I only have a single clown, and she hasn't shown any agression at all towards my one other fish in the tank (a YWG). But then the goby stays on the sandbed most of the time, with just an occasionally trip up near the top every now and then when I feed Rod's Food instead of the pellets that sink down to where he is.

It's cool that you seek advice, but either way you won't go wrong. One thing to consider is that if ever want to get a 2nd they might not get along, so if you have an inkling that you'd like 2, it'd be best together. I've had one and I currently have 2 and the interaction between the male and female is entertaining, especially with a 'nem in the picture. The 2 clowns are always together and near the 'nem for sure and don't bother any other fish, except with all the room in the tank I have, there a coral beauty that hangs around them that they don't particularly like. Even though they try to protect their area, the coral beauty has to spend most of it's time tormenting them, and they in turn chase the coral beauty out of their area (or try to) No contact, just kind of a you hit me first, no you hit me first standoff. The other fish can swim right past them and they leave them alone, but the coral beauty is a different story and knows it. Every so often the female clown with toss the male out of the 'nem and the male gets pis sed and will try to bite the tail of the female. They are cool to watch, but they are definitely not afraid to attach a hand, so even with one you have to keep an eye on it/them when and if you have to stick your hand in your tank. Doesn't really hurt but when you see a clown come swimming and bite your hand you jump and they do seem to know how to find a soft spot between fingers, etc.

Thank you guys, really appreciate it. When i had my two ocellaris clowns they were great! Although I had no problem with the nipping... Hahaha

You also don't have to keep 2 black ocellaris. I had a black ocellaris and a regular ocellaris together for a couple of years. Now I have a platinum and a blacker ice together. The platinum is the female and she was in the tank for a few months before the blacker ice was introduced. She wouldn't let the blacker ice get near her rbta for a month or so but now they both stay in it all the time. The only time I see anything that might be aggression is during feeding when she will chase him away from a big piece of food she wants.

I had a single for 8 years, then I added a 2nd... the new one pestered the older one to death after a month... I added 2 small ora clowns a week ago and now all three hang out together and the large one protects the small ones... You never know how they will adapt.

Well I have enough for a pair, but not for the fancy ones (Black Ocellaris, Snowflake, Picasso, Etc). I'll look into it more, I have found many places offer 10-15% discounts for DFWMAS members.

It will be fine alone. Unless you get one of the more aggressive clowns, like a maroon, it probably won't be an issue with other fish.