Keep Hermits Out of Overflow

I like the tiny hermit crabs as part of my cleanup crew as they can get into all the books and crannies. Trouble is that they like to climb on the coraline algae of my overflow column (tank is standard pre-drilled reef ready) and then go through the overflow teeth where they eventually starve to death.

Anybody have any type of netting or other barrier they have used for this problem? How did you secure it to the overflow holes (teeth) at the top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on the cable ties, I am using those and plastic clamps to block that space where the return pipe is, I don't have crabs, but I did find a nassarius snail on my overflow the other day, I think it is hard to completely stop them, but you can make it better

Well the holes in the gutter guard might still be too large for the small hermits. Anyone try the black plastic canvases that are used for needle work you get at Michaels? Here is a link to what I am thinking of using: http://www.michaels.com/darice-plastic-canvas-%237/M10812487.html?dwvar_M10812487_color=black