John's 180 Rimless Starphire Build

My tank will be arriving in a few days, and Im so excited, I just had to share it with the world (well the metroplex at least)I will be going as all out as I can with a 60x30x24 rimless with starphire on 3 sides, custom knotty elder wood stand from DNA, and no canopy. This is my 4th tank and I always wished I would have kept a log of my build, so im doing it this time. Tonight I am going to outline the initial thoughts on components and equipment I will purchase so I can start getting feedback on what to do.

Reef Zone: Crest; High flow and Moderate to High light. This will be a majority of the tank; but I do plan on having some lower light areas for different species of SPS. Flow in the tank will over all be pretty high.

Lighting: Vertex Illumina SR360 4ft

Skimmer: Royal Exclusive Alpha Cone 250

Chiller: I have a 1/2 horsepower Teco chiller from my last tank, but im hoping I wont need it (LEDS).

Auto-Doser: Aqua Medic Reefdoser Triple (ill be running seachem aquavitro 2 part and possibly magnesium)

Sump: 60 Gallon (total volume) glass. All plumbing will be flexible (its much easier). 2 drains (Durso), 2 returns (2 MagDrive 12s). Auto top off built in.

Powerheads: 2 MP40w ES.. im not sure if I need the MP60s since the glass is 3/4inch on the tank

Controller: No idea what I want to eventually use, but I have a reef keeper lite from my old system that I will probably use until someone buys it.

Really excited and cant wait until the tank gets here weds! Ill definitely keep this up to date with thoughts, progress and photos to document. As always, your thoughts and ideas are always welcome!

Thoughts look good! I only have 2 comments: 1) Read up on the Aquamedic doser...when I was looking into dosing pumps the reviews on this were less than ideal and the Bubble Magus can be had for about $50 less or even the litremeter. 2) May I recommend the Apex controller, with the new firmware and web/phone apps being released this month the possibilities are endless!

Good point.. I have read the reviews but was getting a good deal on one.. and I thought it would be worth the risk.. you have me rethinking that. Thanks ALot!

Yes.. I have read about the apex.. will probably end up going with that ... do you have one?

Sounds a lot like my tank. Check out my build thread, it may give you some ideas. Mine is a 84.5" x 30" x 24" rimless. MP40's will work but I'd make sure you zip tie the dry sides down. I'm also running dual Mag 12 returns. I don't think my chiller has kicked in . . . ever. If anything, you'll need a couple of extra 300W heaters. Even with a total of 3 Mag 12's (one is on the current skimmer) one 300W heater was not enough to keep the tank warm enough. Still, I have a chiller hooked up just in case.

On lighting, I went with 5 AI Vega LED's as I like the red and green LED's, the upcoming option to have custom pucks to include different color LED/spectrum combos, and the AI Director software I was able to try out a MACNA that will give you incredible control over the lights. I also went with a Bubble Magus triple doser.

I am still running an older TS-300 skimmer but just got the new ATI PowerCone 200IS with self regulating air flow, silencer, and air flow controller that I need to try to get installed this weekend.

Have you thought about auto top off components yet? I decided on a JBJ ATO tied into the Apex with back-up float switches going through a break out box should something fail and a PM2 module with salinity probe and auto temperature compensation as an additional secondary backup. Last thing I want is for 30g ATO container to dump into my system.

I ended up having custom built dosing containers and ATO container along with a custom sump so that I could get everything the way I wanted and also be able to go on vacation for at least a week with the whole system running on autopilot.

ETA: I'd also think about setting up a dedicated QT system. I don't want to have to deal with pests and wanted to minimize the risk of introducing ich or something else into the system. I'm going to duplicate my main tank lighting so another Vega or two will go over the QT and just run off the basic controller. I can then place my corals where I plan on having them in my main tank and set the Vega lights to auto-acclimate over whatever time period and power levels I deem appropriate . . . I say that but that plan got shot to hell this weekend when I picked up about 30 new corals from MACNA but the fish are all in QT unless they came from my previous tank. I've got the same triple doser for the QT and also an extra Apex Lite that I'll be running on it and extra JBJ ATO. All that equipment will be back-ups to my main system. I've also got a spare Mag 12, Mag 12 impeller, Mag 18 impeller, MP40 parts, and extra chiller (same as on the main tank) as backups.

Last thing I'll need to do is setup a large battery backup system assembled from deep cycle batteries meant for solar panel electrical supply that can run critical components (one return pump, skimmer, powerheads, heaters, etc) for a day so that I'll have time to hook up a generator if needed.

Yes I have an Apex, its what controls the image in my signature. It is easily the #1 best piece of equipment I bought for my tank. It has saved my tank at least 2x in the 4 months I have had it since we live in an apartment and the AC sux. Also going to MACNA this weekend wasnt an issue because I wasnt concerned with the status of my tank and if I would come home to a disaster. As far as the Aquamedic I personally wouldnt run it. I would stick with either one of the 2 I listed previously or one of the 2 units sold by BRS. My only other thought on that subject is have you considered a Calcium Reactor instead? It seems that is the option of choice for larger tanks.

@niteowl03 wrote:
Thoughts look good! I only have 2 comments: 1) Read up on the Aquamedic doser...when I was looking into dosing pumps the reviews on this were less than ideal and the Bubble Magus can be had for about $50 less or even the litremeter. 2) May I recommend the Apex controller said:
+1

I like your tank and equipment choices(except the aquamedic) and you will over time have much invested in your coral's...it's not wrorth the risk imo.

Cheers,

I would keep the chiller in case of a/c failure if you look at the emergency thread quite a few a/c failure this past summer.

WOW.. great info guys!

MBSL55 - What do you mean by zip tie the mp40's down.. should I just get 60's.. I have heard that the thickness of the glass is 3/4 inchs for the 40s and they can have issues.. any one have any comments on that? Im gonna use the additional pads that you can buy for the vertex and add 4 UV/Violet pads and 3 Red pads to get a more even spectrum of light. I have not really thought about the top off controls.. other than using the controller to regulate the flow. Ill probably give that more thought when I start looking at controllers. I already have a ghetto splice to a magnetic float switch into an extension cord that should suffice while I set the tank up. You also make a good point with a QT system.. I need to give that more thought than I have... I already have an APC that I will plug the MP's and heaters into .. incase power goes.. should give me a day and a half of power.

Niteowl and Bimmer - I think you guys have convinced me to not get the aquadoser.. I will explore other options. As far as a calc reactor goes.. ive never had consistent success and dosing 2 part has allowed me to ramp up/down more consistently and at pace I determine.. but I haven't messed with a calc reactor for 4 years and not sure about the advancements..

Good point on the AC failure.. would definitely be kicking myself if that happened and I sold my chiller.. I think ill hold onto it.

I've got my MP40's on the back wall to keep all cords hidden and I also have limo tint on the back glass. Hence, the dry side can slip a little so I use a zip tie and zip tie mount on the glass with the power cord to make sure it will not fall off and will stay put. You probably want to do that anyway in case you take a wet side out for cleaning and the dry side will just drop to the floor without any support . . . I know I've done that before but fortunately I had looped the cord around something.

Neptune Systems showed their new interface which should make it easier to work with the Apex. I'm with the other guys in recommending an upgraded controller and an Apex in particular. I've had great customer support from Neptune when I had an issue with a VDM module. They'll even e-mail and respond to you in the evenings and on the weekends. They got a replacement VDM out to me the next day without waiting for mine to get to them. Same reason I stuck with AI as I can always get someone to respond quickly and they've gone above and beyond on customer service.

Sounds like you've got a good plan going and your build should come together nicely considering the forethought you are putting into the equipment and how things will work.

Thanks mike.. I've been following your build very closley! I was using it to do some base lines on lighting... Im thinking about using the ai aluminum mounts to hang my fixture from.

What are you using for the zip ties.. To fix them to? Like a hook with 3m tape on it?

Also.. Just got word that I can go visit my tank tomorrow!!!! Very excited... I will post pics as soon as I get them.

I'm still considering going with the mp60 over the mp40.. The glass being thick concerns me.. And I don't wanna buy the 40's then have to sell them at a loss.. Any input??

Thanks! I'll send you pics of the mounts when I get home. I am sticking with MP40s because of their smaller size and where I want them placed. I figure I get more control over flow with higher numbers of pumps but I did think about going with a pair of 60s supplemented by the 40s. I didn't want pumps sticking off the sides of the tank, which would be viewable, so I went with 40s.

I haven't personally had experience with the 60s but have seen them in action. I think a pair of 60s would give you what you need for flow with plenty of buffer room which is not a bad thing if the are in the sides.

You may want to try posting in the equipment forum though to get some feedback from those who have used both.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Here you go. They are calles mounting bases and you can find them in the electrical section of home depot by the zip ties. Great for organizing and routing wire too.[attachment=0]uploadfromtaptalk1349230549736.jpg[/attachment]

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Mike.. So looking at your build.. It appears that you have 2 mp40s on the back of the tank... Doesn't the flow go directly over the corals.. And how much power are you able to use with the length from front to back (depth) being so short?

Correct and the rocks block most of the direct flow that would otherwise blast the corals. I did stick a small piece of green slimer right in front of one of them on the backside of a rock to see how it does. I'm thinking about adding a third MP40 but the center section gets decent flow from the dual Mag 12s and is where things like LPS and zoas reside. I still might add a third for greater flexibility and can aim the return nozzles elsewhere.

I've got them at slightly over 50% (there are four LED's not lit when you turn the knob to adjust levels). That's just about right to where the sand isn't getting blown around.

FINALLY got to see my new tank.. also got to take a few pictures..

[attachment=2]photo(12).JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]photo(13).JPG[/attachment]

The master builder. Planet Aquariums ROCKS!
[attachment=0]photo(14).JPG[/attachment]

Also getting to meet the builder of my stand tomorrow to go over the final specs.. hopefully ill have everything in my hands SOON!!

FYI.. I wanted to bring my tank home today and sleep in it tonight.. but since I didnt have my stand..it would be have been to heavy to pick up off the floor after it was dropped off.

Just an update.. I heard from the builder of the stand.. When I bought from Dallas north.. I was told 3 weeks.. Well 3 weeks has come and gone and still no stand. I did get to meet the builder to finalize my stand and he told me he only heard about it 2 weeks after I ordered... Which I thought was some bs on DNA's part.

Also got my dfwmas membership reinstated .. YAY!

Leaving for San Francisco this Thursday so I better have my stand when I get back Tuesday of next week.