John's 180 Rimless Starphire Build

Took a little longer than a few minutes.. but here is a front view of the new tank and stand.
[attachment=0]photo(15).JPG[/attachment]

Ill post some more tonight when I get home and clean everything up.

Need some help... I'm stuck on which skimmer to buy.. Total water volume of 200 gallons.. With heavy bio load.. Suggestions?

What kind of price range are you looking at? The SRO-3000 XP comes to mind; but if I had deeper pockets, I'd do any skimmer with a laguna/askoll/red dragon pump. Especially with that beautiful tank!

I think 600 is probably the top end of what I would want to spend.. maybe going into the 700 dollar range.. but I dont know if that is enough for an effective skimmer? I was initially thinking of a Vertex Alpha cone.. but the deal fell through.. and they are too expensive new..

Yes, you can get a very effective skimmer for the price. Check this one out:

http://www.saltysupply.com/Reef-Octopus-Super-Reef-3000-Intern-p/oc9157.htm

Then check the reviews. They are very well built, pull tons, and the customer service is impeccable. I'm speaking first hand as I own a 2000.

I hear ya' on the Alpha. They are beasts if your budget allows for them.

DNA had a bubble king mini for sale couple weeks ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys.. No.. I wish I built it.. The stand was built by DNA.. Very pleased.. Tank by planet aquariums.. Very please with that as well.. I need to get some better pictures up.. I'll try to do that this weekend.

As for the skimmer.. I was thinking about a bubble magus curve 7.. Saw a few good reviews.. Anyone have any feedback on this thing?

So after almost 8 months I took the plunge and got the rest.. That means I need more advice... :D

First.. I got an Mp60.. I know I want 2 power heads eventually... But should I stay with the 60s and get another one later.... Or should I get 2 - mp40's?

Second.. I bought the radions... Regular ones... 3 of them... Should I upgrade and get the pros? Or should I return and get the vertex illuminia... I like the radions because I can sync them with the power heads with no controller.. But the pros have 42 LEDs including uv, which I believe the zooxanthellae develop pigment for(think of it like sunscreen) and subsequently get better colors (of course I know water and levels are important) but the uv is just the next level...

Thoughts on the 2 points above?

I'm so jealous. ..that is the same tank I plan on upgrading too much later though. Glad you got to keep it too. My wife approved me to upgrade but I have to wait. Hopefully early next year. Good luck with your build though, definitely following this for ideas.

~Matt

Hey if you are guessing yourself on the gen2's you should go ahead and get the pros, down the road you will always going to have that little thought in your mind "why didn't I get the pros?" So just go ahead and get the pros since they are new and you can just swap them out before loosing any money on them. I did the same thing and just went ahead and got the pros. That's if you can throw that extra bucks because they are a chunk of money :()