I've been overrun with Collonista Snails!

jbrownacu

Premium Member
ive had a couple of these guys in my tank over the past year or so, but out of nowhere my tank is completely covered with these little guys. i dont believe they will do any harm, but it doesnt look great in the tank with them all over the glass and rockwork.

should i be worried about these guys at all? im still reading up on them. any way to take down there numbers besides removing them by hand? any reef safe fish that will eat them? sixline wrasse or something like that? will they die off on their own?

any info would be appreciated :)
thanks!
josh

They usually multiply to meet demand. Considering they're primarily herbivores, got any issues with phosphates / nitrates that would fules an algae bloom?

They are good guys aren't they? If you have too many just offer them for free to members...they'd be great for nano tanks.

less than 5ppm nitrates and 0 phosphates. i have no algae problems in the tank at all. that's what is weird with them coming out in so many numbers. i hardly even have to clean the glass off it's so clean.

edit: this is definitely not a complaint on the lack of algae :)

it's hard getting a great picture at night, but i tried. this doesnt even show the vast amount in the tank. the lights just went off and they are already coming out. they are covering the rockwork. the picture is looking in from the side on my 75g.

My 90 is like that too.... looks like someone sprayed rice crispies all over the place at night.

If anyone happens to want any... they are free to setup an appt any Fri/Sat night and take some off my hands.

what's cool is they are hard to find during the day. you really have to look for them. the lights go out and BOOM they are everywhere!

FYI - From the Project DIBS Website (see bolded text)

http://www.projectdibs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219

Collonista sp. (Easy)

<hr class="bbcode_rule" />

Collonista sp. Information Listing

Original Source: Multiple DIBS Breeders
DIBS ID #: 17

Identification: This identification is based on photographs only. The shell coloration and striping is typical of a Collonista sp. and there is a very prominent pit in the center of the operculum (see pictures below).

Size: Adults of this snail rarely exceed 6mm (0.25 inches) in shell diameter. Babies are considerably smaller.

Reproduction: It is unknown how these snails reproduce, although some anecdotal evidence is that they reproduce faster in skimmerless systems. Generally very easy to reproduce though.

Lifespan: Unknown. This is an area that could be researched.

Sexual Maturity: It is unknown how long it takes these snails to reach sexual maturity.

Potential Benefits:
1. One of the best snails for small nano tanks. They are good grazers and will reproduce to a reasonable population size for a nano tank.

2. One of the best snails for grazing settling tiles in the Breeder Challenge experiments. Snails larger than a nickel should not be allowed to graze settling tiles as they could potentially eat any newly settled polyps that many smaller snails will not eat.

Potential Problems:
1. They can get stuck in SEIO or other narrow powerhead intakes with strong suction and perish.
2. They are small enough that any top-off devices will need snail guards to prevent the top-off device from sticking in the on position and overflowing the tank.
3. They can reproduce to a very large population in larger tanks and are therefore not recommended if you are attempting to raise other larger snails (such as the DIBS Turbo and Trochus sp. snails). It is possible for them to dramatically reduce the amount of grazing food available to larger snails.

Diet:
Unknown. Assumed to feed on algal films and diatoms on rock and glass. Might also consume detritus, but this needs to be researched.

my 70 has butt tons of them and i can find them in the day as well. The only thing i can figure is they eat everything they can and dont need much of it. But my tank is 0 nitrates and phosphates. But with my light i do get some very slight amount of film algae but nothing serious.

My 90 has had them swarmed for 2+ years. Started with just a couple of hitchhikers. It is great! They don't knock stuff over, don't get killed for their shells, don't need to be bought over and over again to replenish their numbers, don't eat anything their not supposed to, and get to plenty of places my old huge turbos couldn't get to. I mainly rely on these guys and only have a few asterinas and a few ceriths. I do keep buying nassirus to keep my sand turned over.

Now if we can just get a mutation of little guys that will eat bubble algae!

I have them too, but at first I thought they were baby nerites. I posted a picture on DIBS and aksed for help in caring for my 'baby nerites' and I was told they are colinistas. They hide all day and come out at night and graze on the glass. I don't think they're anything to worry about.