Interesting revelation on Vortech Battery Backup

An article about the true test of the battery back up from Hurricane Ike.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1472426&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

You see something like that and it breaks your heart... I've had a full tank crash before. He lost a lot of fish, but his corals seem to have made it through for now. If you guys don't recall, this was the gent whom Marc visited and did some shots of his tank. The one thing that stood out from my memory of this tank was that huge hammer coral he had, that and the fact his tank was set into the wall between the house and the garage.

That said... this is more a lesson of what not to do, more than a statement or pronouncement on the vortec battery backup. His issue was lack of oxygen, not a failure of the pumps or backup.

You can't plan for Hurricanes... but he could have planned a better response to the power outage. He should have hooked up several battery operated air pumps/stones and got those going immediately.

If anything this should encourage us all to sit down and write out a response checklist in the event something like this happens to us. That should include things like handling flow, handling oxygen, heat/cooling, lighting if it goes on too long. Contact numbers, options for longer term power backups, ie gas powered generators and the like.

I had a recent conversation about this kind of thing right before Ike hit with a good friend of mine. The jist of that conversation came down to this... we spend thousands on our tanks in some cases. This is especially true for those with larger tanks. You spent 800 or 900 on lights, a couple grand on the tank, upwards of a grand on a skimmer in some cases, a grand or more for flow... close to or over a grand for LR alone and then you get into the actual livestock, fish and corals that could easily get into 5-10K by the time a 200+ gallon tank is fully stocked depending on your tastes :) That's not even including a chiller or controller and the various other pieces of equipment.

When push comes to shove a generator of some sort will run around 500 or 600, you can get fancier and do an inline natural gas one for around 2500 - 3500. While that IS a chunk of change, when you have nearly 20K in a system already that is a pennies on the dollar insurance. Even a generator may fail eventually... but it will buy you time. In Ikes case if you were unlucky enough to be in an area where you can't get drinking water, let along gas or power for days or weeks you won't have much luck without a self contained and prepared backup.

The end result of this and many other similar stories is be as prepared as you can. Don't overlook or underestimate the value of a generator and a firm and prepared plan of action should something like this occur with you. Before you invest significant amounts of dollars into fish and corals etc, invest in the basic equipment that will help protect those living critters under your care, even if you find yourself not using it but once in a blue moon or never in some cases. Otherwise be prepared for the losses...

and i would like to thank you lindsey for that idea, greatness. i have a vortec on a battery and while its good to at least have something to move water if you are not there to add air, you need to do it eventually. last power outage i had i stole lindseys trick and put a battery air pumps hose under my vortec and let it spread the air. tank was on vortec by itself for a couple hours until i got home to add the air, but i would definitely not rely on it for sole support.

that would be a second time actually, i totally stole your pond liner idea too :) and then somehow my sump area looked identical to yours, lol

i didnt really notice the low flow on vortecs battery power until this post and i tested it and it sure does seem alot lower than 50%. i almost want to get a second battery for my 210.

i wonder if there is a way to automate turning on a battery powered air pump if the power goes out? anyone have thoughts here?

@Wes wrote:
i wonder if there is a way to automate turning on a battery powered air pump if the power goes out? anyone have thoughts here? said:
http://www.petsolutions.com/Silent-Air-B11-Battery-Back-up-Pump+I30129045+C10.aspx

And a recent Ike experience:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=13374151#post13374151

You can also DIY a battery operated air pump to only come on when the power goes off.

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=26732&highlight=

Okay, I read the thread. The guy is a real genius. Sorry that happened to him but listen to this:

@genius wrote:
I have the pump ~6" below the water surface and there wasn't much agitation on the water surface. I'm still shocked to see the fishes died in quite a short time said:
Translation
1. "My vortech is too far below the surface"
2. "I didn't turn on my generator when I should have"
3. "My fish died and it's ALL VORTECH'S FAULT!!"

I feel bad for the guy, but at the same time he needs a kick in the pants. If he had his vortech 2" below the surface of the tank with the pumps off, he probably would have been fine. If he had turned on his generator, he would have been fine. If he had thrown in a bait pump and cheap airstone, he would have been fine.

I was also going on the fact that it isn't 50% power as claimed when I bought mine. Not the fact that they worked. I know they worked just not as much flow.

Ecotech ought to make a setup add on that runs an air pump off the same battery backup.

ha, something so simple that i was unaware of. and what a genius you are scott, geeez...i should just do a search for all your threads. i do agree with the vortec add-on though, that would be cool and not look as obtrusive on my tank i feel.

@Wes wrote:
i didnt really notice the low flow on vortecs battery power until this post and i tested it and it sure does seem alot lower than 50%. i almost want to get a second battery for my 210. said:
The Gen 1 vortechs advertised running at 50% on backup power, the Gen 2's however mention that the vortech's run at minimum speed when on battery backup in order to maximaize run time. :)

Cheers,

@Wes wrote:
nice...so how do you roll back an upgrade said:
When I say Gen 1, I really mean the "original" vortech drivers that just had the speed knob. The next release(Gen 1) seemed like it had an issue with backup power because the speed appeared to be different depending on where you had the speed set, but I believe it was still advertised to run at 50% on backup power. :)

Cheers,

I have the same little battery pump that Marc posted above put into my 24gal nano. It saved my tank once when the power was off for 3 days! It ran continuously, and didn't even need fresh batteries until afterwards. It's a handy little thing that plugs into an outlet, then comes on when it detects loss of power. I've been thinking of getting 3 of them for my 150, placing one under my Vortech, just in case....

@BigJay wrote:
Translation
1. "My vortech is too far below the surface"
2. "I didn't turn on my generator when I should have"
3. "My fish died and it's ALL VORTECH'S FAULT!!"

I feel bad for the guy, but at the same time he needs a kick in the pants. If he had his vortech 2" below the surface of the tank with the pumps off, he probably would have been fine. If he had turned on his generator, he would have been fine. If he had thrown in a bait pump and cheap airstone, he would have been fine."]

I read everything he wrote and he never said this is ALL VORTECH'S FAULT. His quote "The purpose of the thread to share my lesson-learned and warn others not to be 'over-confident' w/ a battery backup system and should verify the agitation on the surface to ensure sufficient oxygen for the tank" He wasn't the only one in Houston that relied on the vortech and lost all their fish. As he stated he had over 20 people at his house to ride out the storm so the tank was not his top priority. I think he is taking this very civilized. I know a lot of people that would already have a lawsuit filed against vortech and would have posted a slanderous post on ever reef forum they could find.

@mo wrote:
In the long run.... [url=http://www.apelectricshop.com/p-1899-5506-20kw-air-cooled-generacguardian-generator-alum-enclosure-w200a-load-shed-se-ats.aspx]The Answer![/url] said:
Yep... I got a quote for one for my place, along with installation. Just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. I may do it before the end of the year though before the spring storms hit.. for now I have that woot one in the garage for emergencies.