Idea for a remote refugium

I have a small fuge. It is only a 4-5 gallon section of my 20g long sump. When I watch the water enter the fuge from the skimmer section, it seems to go through the macro pretty well. But, I got to thinking. (uh, oh)

Water, like nearly every thing else will take the path of least resistance. So, I imagine that a lot of the water never gets to the macro. Like the bag of carbon in between my baffles, it can't be that efficient. After watching my phosban reactor, I thought that the same design for a fuge might be the way to go. A lot of macro stuffed into a pipe and the water forced to go through it.
I would wrap it in a rope light, or just shine the light I use now through the acrylic.

Here is my sketch up:

Refugium.jpg
alt="">

The water enters the mini fuge on the bottom, is forced up through the dense macro and then drains into the skimmer area. When the macro begins to poke through the eggcrate at the top, you cut that part out. I figured I would run 2-3 times my tank volume (160-240 gph) through the macro column. When I get some acrylic tubing, I will give it a go and see how it works.

I was also thinking of capping the top with a "screw on top" to seal it. then have the drain feed into a second capped cylinder (same insides), then feed into a third that would drain into the tank. If I did that, then I could use three separate types of macro. One in each cylinder.
-Chuck

Hmmm... Interesting concept, but.....

(There's always a but, ain't there?)

With the cost of clear acrylic tubing being as ridiculously high as it is, it seems this would be rather cost prohibitive...

The "How to force the water through the macro) question is why I went with a 55 gallon for my main refuguim. Water enters on one end, HAS to go through the macro to get to the overflow to leave the tank. Long, slender tank...

Anyway, as I said, very interesting idea, I just think the cost of the materials will be rather high to make it of any size worthwhile...

Perhaps in the interests of cutting cost it could be made square. Four flat sides glued together (like a tall skinny sump).

@Serk wrote:
With the cost of clear acrylic tubing being as ridiculously high as it is said:
I have been looking on ebay, and I can find some tubing for pretty inexpensive.

I was also looking at my skimmer that I am about to replace. It has a 4" main tube. That width should be plenty. Especially if I am going to have 3 connected.

@Reefmike wrote:
Perhaps in the interests of cutting cost it could be made square. Four flat sides glued together (like a tall skinny sump). said:
This would work as well.

I am trying to figure out how to connect 3 together via force feeding the water through them. To force feed them I would need to be able to seal the top. With a tube, I could scree on a cap. With a square, I am not sure what I would do.

I think I am going to change the dimensions to 4" instead of 6. And, I am going to make it only 15" high. That would be 1 gallon of water in each.

-Chuck

@Ashlar wrote:
How about those wal-mart pasta containers that have a clamp and a rubber seal at the top? They're like $4. said:
great...I should have looked at that an hour ago. Before I started sketching and PS'ing my last post. :lol:

@ChuKronos wrote:
[I]@Ashlar wrote:[/I][quote="How about those wal-mart pasta containers that have a clamp and a rubber seal at the top? They're like $4. said:
great...I should have looked at that an hour ago. Before I started sketching and PS'ing my last post. :lol:"]
I like the idea of a triple-rectangle-chamber anyway. Don't think you wasted your time!

Great ideas so far!

For sealing the top, do like a Euroreef style top frame glued in edging, then you can drill holes around that edge and bolt on a solid top plate with gasket.

There is no need to cap the top of each chamber. Just make the drian lower on the last chamber and the outside walls higher than the dividers inside. That should take care of any spills exept if the last drain gets clogged some how. Having it open on top is better for gas exchange anyway.

Lewis

I agree with lewis. You could even put in a seperate emergency drain that would never touch the water unless it overflowed.

By the way nice skethup skills.

that is a great idea, however some species of micro alge can and may outcompete your macro alge it may cover the walls making the light inside much less effective. I have always thought about a very shallow and large surface area fuge with many many mangroves and cheto. And maybe this above the display feeding into it. Maybe some built in snails will do the trick for your idea.

@Spar wrote:
[I]@ChuKronos wrote:[/I][quote="[I]@Ashlar wrote:[/I][quote="How about those wal-mart pasta containers that have a clamp and a rubber seal at the top? They're like $4. said:
great...I should have looked at that an hour ago. Before I started sketching and PS'ing my last post. :lol:"]
I like the idea of a triple-rectangle-chamber anyway. Don't think you wasted your time!

Great ideas so far!"]

I agree, this would be great, im seeing an easy hang on the back solution! when can we get one? lol