ich and other questions

Catjuggler

Premium Member
Hi everyone I have a 90 gallon that i just switched all my coral and inverts to. I have ich on one of my fish in my 46 gal and i dont want to move any fish over from my 46 gal to the 90 gal in till i can get rid of the problem. I have some cupramine that i was gonna use but i was scare of killing the copepods and or calurpa in my refug.ITs a hang on the back, so should i move the refug over too or will it be ok. Also when i was moving my meat coral i didnt want to take it out of the water, so i used a tupperware and got some of the 40 gal water in the 90 gal. Should i be worried about the ich transferring or should i be ok.
I know its alot but im inexperienced and i dont want to lose anything. Please if you have any advice i would really appreciate it, I was reading about hyposalinty but since i moved everything i didnt know what treatment would be better

Well, any Ich you moved over to the 90 with the water, corals, etc should be gone by the time the fish are ready to move over. At least, from what I have heard and read. As for treating the other fish in the other tank, just be aware that if you use a copper based treatment it will kill any invertibrates that remain. Also, from what I have heard and read, once you put copper in a tank, it cannot be used for coral and live rock ever again. Just a couple thoughts for you to consider. As to the best way to get rid of the ich.... So many opinions, but only a couple REAL solutions. The ones I have heard about are all going to be rough on either you, the fish, or both. Several good articles on it around the site though.

Good Luck with the battle!

Witt

UPDATE
This morning i found 3 stowaways in the 90, 2 lawnmower blens, and a catilina goby. i have a really big rock about 40 pounds that has tons of holes and i think they came in on that one. The blennies look fine but the goby looks to have a little bit of ich. OH NO. what should i do, i cant catch any of them. I tried for over a hour and a half to catch them but to no avail. I dont know even where to start, should i keep trying till i catch them or should i figure something else out.
i really dont want to use copper meds so if anyone can offer some advice in getting rid of the ich it would be awesome. I was thinking about trying a combination of garlic,hypo, and rasing temp. Please leave any advice if you have any

If you want to get rid of ich here is a must read.

http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/marineich.html

What I think you need to do is get the fish out of the 90. See if you find a fish trap that may work. Move everything except the LR and other bio filter stuff out of the 46. Run Hypo Sal treatment for as long as you can stand. IMHO that would be you best course/chance to get rid of it.

Im just gonna set up my old 46 as a qt for now on. I have a hang on the back refug with calurpa and i was wondering if i move it over to the 90 gallon will the ich transfer. My guess would be yes but i dont know and i dont want to risk it intill i get some experienced people to let me know. I have 2 meds i was thinking about using formalin3 and cupramine . IF anyone has any advice on these 2 and which one would work better please let me know. Thanks everyone

@SALT wrote:
If you want to get rid of ich here is a must read. [url=http://http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/marineich.html]http://atj.net.au/marineaquaria/marineich.html[/url] What I think you need to do is get the fish out of the 90. See if you find a fish trap that may work. Move everything except the LR and other bio filter stuff out of the 46. Run Hypo Sal treatment for as long as you can stand. IMHO that would be you best course/chance to get rid of it. said:
Thanks for the link, Im gonna try a fish trap, I already moved the LR is that bad. I plan on hypo (the thing i read said to empty about half and fill with ro/di water) does that sound right . Thanks for the help

Update
I am using a combination of hypo,temp of 83, garlic and feeding more, 20 percent water changes every few days and dosing with 4 tsp of formalin3 everyday as prescribed on the bottle. The clown seems to have it bad but is very active and eats alot.The foxface seems to be fighting it off, almost clear today. I cleaned a bunch of pvc pipe of different sizes big enough for every fish so they can hide and feel safe, and put them in. they really seem to enjoy there new little world. also i am runnning air stones in the sump to increase air. If anyone has any feedback for me It would really ease my mind, am i doing this right,am i doing this too much. Thank you everyone, Im so glad this site is here

UPDATE Hi everyone, sorry for not getting back to you guys sooner. I used formalin for three weeks intill the ich wasn't visible. I dosed for another week and then waited another week. I didnt lose any fish but i did lose all my caluapra within a few a weeks. Since the treatment i have moved the fish over to the new 90 gal and everything is going great. I wanted to say thank you to everyone for the help and advice.