i used tap water

Did you add anything to the tap water to remove the chlorine at least? Is this a new tank or does it have fish and/or corals in it already?

If you added a dechlorinator you may escape with a minor algae outbreak, but it depends -- what size tank, how long has it been running, and did you completely fill it with tap, or was this just a top-off or part of a water change?

Using tap is not very good tank husbandry. The trouble with Petco is that sometimes you'll find employees who really, really know their stuff, but sometimes you'll find employees who just got promoted from the gerbil department and shouldn't be giving advice.

Tap water (properly dechlorinated) isn't the end of the world. Every few months I'll swap back and forth, I've yet to notice an issue. This may be because my tank eats nitrate and phosphate like its going out of style though.

Its 30 gallons filled with tap water it was treated with purifier but i have noticed the reddish looking algae on the tank glass its been cycling for a month now i got live rock and live sand in it also i did water tests and they were good but i met a guy today who said im totally screwed

1) Unless you poured a copper based compound into your tank it isn't "totally screwed". Bleach would be a close second, but you could recover from that with a heavy dechlorinator and some seed rock.
2) Do you have any CUC (clean up crew, ie snail, hermits, bristleworms, whatever)?
3) Are you putting anything into the tank other than water into the tank, ie something for bacteria to consume? If not it isn't really cycling.
4) This is a silly question, but since I'm talking over the internet and it hasn't been explicitly stated I want to make sure (so please don't be offended): You did put your salt mix into the water before adding it to the tank right? Not an irrecoverable mistake, but it would set things back a bit.

Tap water (dechlorinated) won't totally screw you over. Make some algae grow, sure. Excess nutrients, definitely. But it'll be fine. No need to panic or start over :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@sirrockie25 wrote:
It is dechlorinated has no fish yet said:
That's what I was hoping to hear. [smilie=smile.gif]

As others have already said, you should be fine other than maybe a little extra algae.

The algae that's probably growing in your tank is some sort of nuisance algae, they come in many, many colors. What kind of test kits do you have on hand and do you have something that can measure salinity?

I agree that you're totally not screwed. Maybe gave yourself a headache over some nuisance algae, but nothing that can't be handled easily.

The algae you're seeing is a natural part of a new tank cycle. You're going to get an algae outbreak no matter what kind of water you use, so using tap is not a disaster. Like mintychicken (cool name, btw) says, algae comes in many colors. You're likely to see shades of red, brown and green algae during the initial cycle. Most should disappear on their own as the tank stabilizes itself. Others will be handled by your snails. And the rest can be removed during water changes.

What are your current ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings? How about the salinity? If you're just starting out in the hobby you may not have a phosphate test yet, but most fish stores will test your phosphate levels for a small fee.

Also, how "live" was your live rock when you added it to the tank? Was it out of the water for a significant amount of time, or was it kept wet between the source and your tank? If your live rock had very little die-off, then your cycle will be different than if the rock was dry before you put it in the tank. If your rock already had a healthy colony of bacteria when it went into your tank, your cycle should probably be pretty much done after 4 weeks (I don't put much faith in the "live sand" that's sold in a bag, so the rocks are more important, imo). As long as your Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate have all spiked and fallen, you are ready to do a water change and add a clean up crew.

Disregard the numbers on this chart, as days and levels will vary from tank to tank. But overall this is a pretty good look at a new tank cycle:

CyclingGraph.gif
alt="">