huge algae problem

LSBBA

Premium Member
I am having a huge problem in my 28jbj led nano with cyano algae(stringy brown stuff). I had a bloom of hair algae but is under control with some emerald crabs. But now I have a huge out break of cyano. I have dosed cemiclean three times now. I have done 3 water changes every 3 days in a row and each time i syphon as much as will come up. the next day it all comes back. I checked parameters and I am sitting good at salinity, nitrites, nitrates, phosphates, plus I have been changing water every few days now to help offset it too. It is on all my corals, rocks, sand, etc. What can i do now? I have thought about setting up another tank to dip the rock and corals. plus I have been working on new rock work anyways. I also have a huge 18" by 5" Metallic GSP mat at the front of my tank that maybe has been trapping debris underneath. Also, is there some cleaning i need to do in the back of the refugium( maybe there is something back there?) I do have a huge yellow toadstool that is about 10" that may be messing up some stuff. I use chemipure in the back. I have dosed with a phosphate sponge twice too in the last month. What do I do ?

Make sure it is not dinoflagellates you have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also if you dose the chemical try doubling up on the dose and waiting 48hrs also make sure you have a air pump in here

that there electronic note pad

i am using water from the LFS. three different stores too. I checked that first. Well if it is dino. I guess my first step is to syphon again as much as I can and shut off the lights for a 48 hour period. How do I raise the ph though? Should I use chemi clean at the same time? (just to be sure). I am worried about using double the dose like 29biocube29 suggested. Should I try that too?

A lot of fish stores have bad water. To raise ph dose something to raise alk like pickling lime.

Sent from inside the shark tank!

Also I have found that nerite snails eat cayno very well it won't solve the reason ur getting it in the first place but they will eat the stuff up

Do you have a picture of the tank? Need to determine if it is cyano or dinos, two completely different problems. If cyano, then chemiclean will fix the problem if you follow the directions. If it is dinos, then you have a completely different problem. You might look at dosing hydrogen peroxide. I had a dino issue once and tried all sorts of things, but didn't try H2O2 myself, just ended up breaking down the tank. What I have seen is that H2O2 is pretty much the only resolution, it is risky and will possibly take out sps and inverts. You can search all day long for the root cause, but in the end just fix it for now and then start feeding less or whatnot, could just be a new acquisition that caused the problem...