How to make the overflow less noise? PLEASE HELP

Hi All,

I setup this tank recently and got some noise issues that needs your help. As you can see from the picture, my tank is two layers tank. the return will be on the first layer with 3/4" pipe. then it flows over the second layer from two 1 1/4" holes that drilled. then the overflow on the second layer is just 1" pipe. Now since i got two wave makers for both tanks, the water won't come down constantly. Therefore, it makes loud noise from first to second tank through those two holes. since those two holes are bigger than the overflow pipe (1"), it makes another water sucking noise coming to the sump. I tried put in the valve to block water from the return but still have the same issue. If you have any idea of how to reduce or eliminate the noise please let me know. I really appreciate your big help.

Thanks,
Ken

Not sure if thius would work but it works great on my overflow

http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/HGB_construction.html

Well, the problem i think was that the water flows from upper tank are more then the lower tank. i tried similar method using 4 ways one inches adapter; cover with pump sponges; and others. nothing works. i think the only way to make it work is making a overflow and drill another big holes. i am thinking of build a overflow with two 1 1/2" holes close to the join of two tanks. that way, i can eliminate the bubbles causing from top tank flows as well. the current 1" pipe from lower tank will use as the return pump split. I think this is the only way. However, i never do any drilling before and kinda worry a bit. I am posting to borrow the drill bit and hoping someone can blend me one. Anyway, thank for your post.

Thanks,
Ken

Ahh now I see what you want to do with the bit. Have you tried a U shaped pipe through the holes? Maybe try to get a siphon effect going so it pulls water from the top tank down to the bottom tank? I would have the pipe on the top tank below the water a few inches, and on the bottom tank put the end at level you want the water or maybe a little lower. Im no plumber but thats what I would try first. Or, you just cant have a wave maker on those tanks.

Thanks C45N4gE,

Yeah, i thought of that for the two holes from the upper tank. however, with twice amount of water flowing from the upper tank comparing to the lower tank's drain hole, i think i still have issue with water sucking noise.