how long before i can put fish in tank?

im going to get some live rock this weekend and i would like to buy some fish/corals at the frag swap since i live right by there what does anyone think about this?

@coralcrazy101 wrote:
i dont think so its only been up for about a week once i get my live rock im planning on throwing a shrimp in a sock in tha water said:
Depending on you live rock. 1 week to 30day after adding rock.

One of my concerns about this ( of many )
You used play ground sand ...

With all the contaminates that are more then likely in it

It could takes months for it to do leak them out and may never leak it out fully

Cured or uncured? If it comes throught he mail it will be uncured. You need to purchase a nitrogen test kit. That is the only ~sure way to know. Also once your tank cycles it doesn't mean you are ready for fish it just means you are ready for one fish.

Take it slow or you will regret it for sure!

Yes I know that psrt lol I have a ton of freshwster tanks ive got 30 gallon 2 10 gallon and a 20 gallon sw and im sappost to be picking up some live rock today from another person in fw he said its perfectly ready to put in my aquarium and hes had it in his for a long time

salt water fish are not like freshwater fish.

and make sure you test the parameters with the new rock additions. All the Live Rock I've purchased used came from poorly maintained tanks that all had high nutrients so the LR leached nutrients causing algae blooms for months. Testing is the only way to know what to expect. and don't buy an API the test range is not low enough for coral on the nitrate/phosphate tests.

Spend a significant of time reading all the newbie sticky posts it will save you lots of money and save a few fish/corals. Do you have a sump? what is your lighting?

I certainly don't want to sound condescending but by reading some of your posts I certainly feel you are leaping without looking and will regret your decisions and not last very long in this hobby. Best of luck!

Let's all remember that he's only 13 and just a little overly anxious. With positive guidance and patience, I think we all could help him enjoy this hobby.

missed his age.

Just make sure to purchase an ammonia nitrate test kit. They are actually kinda fun to use.
Also see if you can get your parents to read most of the newbie sticky posts, that will help them understand as well.

Best wishes.

Js the dude I got them from had another tank running it was a reef tank full of corals and fragged corals and a 500$ pair of clowns lol he saod he had like 1500 on a 20-30 gallon I think he takes care of hos tanks and ill see if I can milk my parents for money thwy hate giving me money lol