Home repair situation

melev

Club President
Staff member
Board of Directors
Sponsor
As many of you know, from time to time we have to do some repairs in our homes and yet keep our aquariums safe throughout the process.  I've lived in the same house for 20 years, and recently had to hire a crew to come out and replace all the ductwork in my attic, as well as the plenum.  When they do this, the HVAC system no longer provides cool air and the house warms up, unless you can wait until a mild-weather day. View attachment 8527I was hoping to hold off until summer was over, but my AC was not able to keep up with the higher temperatures. My ductwork was damaged, leaking, and basically falling apart. I got two bids, and then today Southern Air showed up to do the work at 9 a.m.  Today's forecast was 95°F, so definitely better than what we had last week. View attachment 8526Once they remove the core ductwork and plenum (the box that all the ducts connect to), all the air pumps into the attic area which benefits the guys working hard to complete the job. Over the 6 hours this project too, my house rose to 82°F so I decided today was a good day to keep the metal halides turned off so as not to add even more heat to the aquarium.  They were careful not to let anything fall out of the vents into any of my aquariums; I was very impressed.View attachment 8525The reef reached 79.8°F, but is already coming down a little.  I bet the new duct we added to the fishroom will help a lot, as that room often was warmer than the rest of the house.View attachment 8524Now I just need to wait for the house and workshop to cool down so I get get some work done, but the worst of it is over. :)

Oh wow, replacing all that is a huge effort, but I bet your house is more comfortable now that its done

It's still cooling off, but I did notice a pleasant breeze in the fishroom just now, first time to feel that in that room ever.