HELP WITH WHAT TO BUY!!

ok so my turtle just ate up my huge 10 inch gold fish i had in my 20 gallon :( and i through it back now im thinking about changing it to saltwater now that i have a tank big enough :D and with about a 200 dollar budget spending about 100 dollars on a light (for coral) does anyone think i can manage to get everything else done with 100 dollars im only 13 which is kind of why im on a tight budget [smilie=rofl.gif] but i also have other stuff i can trade EVERYTHING FOR SELL/TRADE IS FRESHWATER but plants blue diamond shrimp marbled crayfish and yellow guppies hmu if interested in anything dominicnervo@gmail.com

well i just bought a 70$ t5 light of of ebay not too sure if it was the right thing to do but it has 30 day refun policy and im using this play sand that just happened to be in the back yard it is called pavestone and i think that's alright currently the tank is really cloudy but im expecting it to clear up does anyone have any live rock to give away or for sale?

Don't use the play sand....it will give you problems. I am sure there is somebody on here that has some old sand that you could rinse and use for free!

I would buy new sand and you can buy olite aragonite from petsmart for 20.00 for a 30lb bag

135 oceanic mixed reef
55 mixed reef (wifes tank)

:O welp i used play sand and it clouded up the tank not to mention a huge mess on the floor after i forgot about the wateter going in to the 5 gallon bucket and like ive said i want the whole thing plus live stock to be less than 200 dollars like a super cheap set up does anyone think they can hold some begginner corals for me if i pay them like 5 dollars to hold it for me like a month i was thinking about zoanthids but ive heard they are poisonous and i think i can pull it off haha itd be about 150 dollars without live stock ive got 80 left... :) lets see a saltwater test thingy saltwater and live rock and i forgot what they are called but a water pump to ove the water around

Not to say this in a bad way but I will be honest ..

Stop what your doing ... Wait and save up ...

Watch for a nano deal on Craig's list or here
saltwater aquariums take lots of time and attention
Also lots of money
You need salt , testers , pure water etc
It all adds up

If I were you I would stop what your doing and save about 500 bucks up
Watch Craig's list or here ...
Find a small nano tank already sto led for arou d 300
You will need the 200 for supplies and cleaners and will give you a little extra for additions

@Matthew_sample wrote:
Not to say this in a bad way but I will be honest .. Stop what your doing ... Wait and save up ... Watch for a nano deal on Craig's list or here saltwater aquariums take lots of time and attention Also lots of money You need salt said:

I don't want to just pile on the negativity, because this hobby is A BLAST, but there are tons and tons of factors that go into successfully keeping a reef tank. Even after you have the tank set up, you aren't done spending money on it, you have to plan to spend a decent amount of your time and money just to keep everything alive. Buying RODI water (no tap water), saltwater (unless you mix your own - but then you have to buy the salt), food (specific to what your livestock is), test kits (5-8 of those are NECESSARY and run about $15-25 EACH), supplements, etc...

I really think you will enjoy this hobby. I was in just about the same boat as you when I got started. 20g tall tank, live rock, live sand, a couple of cheap powerheads, a $75 light fixture, and livestock. I skimped on some quality though, and took a bunch of shortcuts, and paid for it 10 fold with headaches. Ended up spending somewhere around $500 before I was able to get the tank somewhat stable.

With that said... I would urge you to consider what a couple of the previous posters said: Save your money until you can afford to buy a complete used setup.

In the mean time, you have come to a great place to LEARN! There are tons of threads to read and tons of information that a beginner hobbyist NEEDS to know before they jump in with both feet and get in over their head. READ READ READ! Ask questions! Again, it's an expensive hobby, so learn from others' mistakes and it will save you boatloads of $$$.
Good Luck!

I think first tank should be 40-75g because its easier to maintain than a nano

135 oceanic mixed reef
55 mixed reef (wifes tank)

welp idk i might just buy the 12 gallon nano if it isnt already bought and put my t5 that i bought on that because 15 already set up definitly sounds cheap :p and yea i might just sell the 20 gallon with the light the light doesent work so i might be able to put the t5 on that and charge a lot more like 100 dollars more

update on the 20 gallon the sand is a lot calmer now and it isnt as murky so im gonna start to fill up the rest of the tank i might buy maybe 18 pounds of live rock once i get the salt in and mixed up :) and then put some what 1-2 pounds of florida dead rock which i wouldent think would be a problem

update just bought some oorite or whatever araganite sand at petsmart for 20 dollars for 30 pounnds and bought some live rock and also saling it for some profit not a whole lot doe