help with this coral plague

lceman225

Membership Expired
Anyone know an easy way to rid my tank of the blue polyp plague? I would definitely consider a fish that would snack on them. Removing all rocks with these guys attached would likely be a last resort. Thanks ahead.

IMG_2369.jpg
alt="">
IMG_2371.jpg
alt="">

marcs tiger cowrie mowed down the zoas on his overflow, one of them might like polys too

Even if you take all the rock out, if you miss one freakin polyp they will return. [smilie=devil.gif] You may have to just trade the rock in for same size piece of cured rock. You can also trade out the biggest pieces with the most polyps on then then slowly kill small areas with kalk. Another thing to try is snap off the corals you want, take the rock out and give it a muriatic acid bath , get it rinsed really well then recure the rocks for a while, at least you can keep the rock if you like it. You can always take this as an opportunity to reaquascape the tank, break off the corals you want and trade in the infested rock's or......a nice blow torch works well. [smilie=rofl.gif]

Good luck bro,

thanks guys...it was cool at first to see them grow but i can see now that they are growing into my SPS and irritating them. Should have gotten them out while it was managable.

Yeah I had to do the same thing I have small ones all over the place now make sure if you rip them out don let the small pieces get away from you. Even the tinyest pieces will grow back. I used a razor and a siphon to scrap the
offthe rock

Maybe I just like things big and bushy, but I'm of the mindset that you can't ever have too much growth whether it's xenia, gsp, mushrooms, or these guys. I don't have any SPS to worry about getting choked off, so I love seeing big expanses of rock or rear glass covered with anything lush and live and waving with the flow. Definitely beats bare rock or coraline spots on the glass (which I can't stand) in my book. I would actually love to have my overflow or backwall completely covered like that - kinda looks like an ivy-covered wall. If you're just scraping them off and tossing them anyway, I'll take as many frags as you want off your hands. I bet you'd get plenty of takers in the co-op as well.