HELP ME DECIDE!!!

I am about to purchase another power head for my 80g sps, my budget is about 100 bucks. As of right now I have 5 MJ1200 moving the water, and I feel like its just not enough water movement.

Any suggestions on a real nice power head that moves a larger mass of water, im considering the new hydor korlia series or maybe a tunzie, any input from anybody that has one of these pumps are something nice like it please chime in.

Im holding off on my purchase untill I get a bit of advice from you good people.

Cheers
charlie

Not trying to derail your thread, but are those 5 MJ's modified in any way? Even the nozzle-cut mod, which takes about 30 seconds per powerhead (If you take your time), makes 'em move a lot more water...

Tunze and Korlia are both good pumps. I have both running and very happy with both. But as stated before unless you want the tunze to control flow, I would Mod those MJ's, may cost you $100 to mod 4 of them and that would be plenty of flow in that 80gal.

No I have not gotten around to modding I was planning on doing that as well as getting another power head.
I dont feel that even with the mj's modded and having the other pump that it will be overkill in the flow.

what do you think?

personally, i would start by modding the nozzles on the mj's - you will be surprised by how much more flow you get with them ... it is a huge difference!

besides, it will only take 20 minutes to do all of them and you can use the money you saved to buy some new corals :)

I've got 6 MJ1200's in my 6' long 150 for all my flow... 4 are nozzle-cut and 2 are OceanFlo Tunze-Like Mod, and I feel I've got plenty of flow...

If you're using a wavemaker of some sort, another advantage of the nozzle cut mod is that every time the power is cycled on them, they blow the opposite direction since the impeller spins the opposite direction each time...

Modding the MJ's will surprise you as folks have stated. I would start with modding just 2 of them first, cut the nozzles and drill additional holes so it can draw in more water and see where you are.....then go from there. The tunze style mods are totally unbelievable, I had to take them out of a 58G. :shock:

Cheers!

the prop mod maxijets put out unbelievable movement prob just need two mods for you whole tank.

Also, the SEIO's are very affordable and flow pretty decent.

Although I would agree based on what I have seen that the Maxijet mods are awesome.

BD

I have a koralia 2 which is 600 gph and I love it. You could get two koralia 3's for under $100. That would be plenty of flow.

Call me odd and force me to write bad checks.... but I would NOT put 6 powerheads in my tank. Granted MJ's are reliable and cheap movement, but god they are unsightly. Perhaps its time you bit the bullet and instead and go with a pair of Tunze 6055's(if you want controlled speed) or the 3 or 4 6045's. Or go 2 Vortecs and get your tank space back. I am in no way saying what your doing is wrong or anything but I would opt for more visual appeal and water movement in such a small tank.

I have a couple of mj's hidden in the rock work with just the flow nozel showing so I have done the best I can do to not take away from the over all look of the tank.

If you want to see a koralia 2 in action you can come check mine out. I live in Deep ellum also. I love the koralia's.

Has anyone here actually measured how fast MJs can heat up water? I know from experience, I had one in 15 gallons of water in the back of a rental jeep when i was bringing home frags from Colorado, it killed all the frags getting the water to about 95 F.

I would much rather get 1 larger pump then 4 MJ mods, youll notice quite a difference in your tank temperatures.

Save your money a little longer, sell 3 of the MJ 1200's, and then buy a Tunze 6100 w/single controler or a Vortec Pump. I can promise you will be happier in the long run. :D