HELP. Leaking 150 gal reef

mperlst216

Premium Member
We have a slow leak from one of the bottom fittings of our 20x24x74inch glass tank. Who do you recommend we have advise us. We are praying we can have that fitting replumbed and do not have to empty the tank to repair it. We live in Plano.View attachment 9069

If it is in a sealed overflow box, you can probably do it yourself without draining the whole tank.Can you tell where it is leaking from exactly? Maybe bad bulkhead?You should be able to turn off return pump, pull the drain standpipe (hopefully not glued) so it drains the overflow box, for the most part.Then remove the bulkhead (will be a little water spill from there, towel should catch) replace with new bulkhead/barb fitting.If uneasy with this, I would contact your Local Fish store, they can usually do this type of thing for you for a price.

Chris is right, lots of good news here.  It's in the overflow box, so you can do it yourself.Get yourself a grey trash can, and drain the water in the tank below the teeth of the overflow box, so no water is running into anymore. Then you want to try and siphon, pump out, or drain as much water out of the overflow box as possible. HAVE LOTS OF TOWELS BELOW IT AND HANDY.Detach the hose from the bulkhead, and whatever is in it from topside.  You should then be able to get the bulk head out or, at least start by making sure its tight with a pipewrench. If you do remove it, clean the glass inside the box as best as possible with a dry towel so the dirt doesnt' screw up your new bulk head when you add a new one. Hope this helps and we can answer more if needed.

Thanks for relieving todays stress. This forum is great. I have Dallas Aquarium King coming out tomorrow to replace the bulk head.

Very upsetting news. The glass hole for the bulkhead has chipped and the leak cannot be completely stopped. So we are looking for a pre owned replacement tank or tank/stand. Anyone have a 5 or 6 ft long reef tank with stand for sale ASAP? Our existing tank is 20w X 24 deep 72in long. Email me MPERLST216@AOL.COM Thanks.