Glass Sump anyone?

Hi All
I built this all glass sump this last weekend just to see if I could do it, I just hate how acrylic gets scratched up. It was actually easier than I thought it would be. You have a lot more time before the silicone hardens to get things right. Plus I didn't have to do any cutting or finishing. Just told the glass store all the sizes and the cut them and sanded all the edges. It cost me about $75 bucks and I had it all glued up in about an hour. It is 1/4 glass. the measurements are 36" x 10" x 12"
Just do it
Joe

Joe, that really looks grate. I am using a 10 gal tank for my sump right now and wanted to build my own. I just didn't know about using glass. thanks for the inspiration. I just may give this a try. :lol:

Very nice. When it cures, fill it up with water and see if it bows. I'm curious if it is strong enough too.

Not trying to second guess ya', but did you make sure the silicone you used does NOT have any anti-fungal agents in it? I've read a lot of non-aquarium silicones have these fungicides in them to prevent fungal growth, but can cause big problems if they leech into a reef system...

Other than that concern, I love it!!! Tempting me to try it myself... I've got a 20 gallon long as my sump, and I've been itching for a bigger/nicer one for awhile now...

Yes, you may want to build a frame around the top and bottom....seems like the pressure would make it come apart without it.

@737mech wrote:
Nice job. Does sump need any reinforcement along the bottom like other glass tanks? said:
I agree here, I would be afraid of a 1/4 inch bottom.
How much does this thing weigh?

HI All
Just thought I would give you all an update. First off
Not trying to second guess ya' said:
Yes I did I used window and door silicone, the kitchen and bath has the fungicides.
Second
Yes said:
If it was a tank it might be more of an issue but extra baffles make me pretty sure it should be ok, besides if you have ever taken the trim off a tank to do repairs you know it is some pretty wimpy stuff.
Third
wow said:
Thanks I built the shop too it is 2 stories and 1476 Sft I started at Christmas and had my final just after the forth of July.
Fourth
I agree here said:
It weights about 35 lbs and should hold about 12 gallons running with 7 gallons of room in case
It nevers hurts to try, the next one will be bigger.
Later Joe

Hey Man AWSOME, I dont really like acrylic either all my custom work has usually been done with glass, I think the tank will hold up fine, lol I hope my tank dosent relly on the wimpy tank trim!. Looking good man!