frag tank plumbing

uchin

Sponsor
Setting up a 50 gal shallow tank for frags, want to plumb it to my sump off my 185. I can place it right next to it but will be tight. So, I'm needing advice. Is12 ft of pvc one drain being 1" and return 1/2" pvc too long? I have a strong return pump and will have a check valves.

12 ft is doable, assuming you have the pump to drive it. I'd recommend you T off the return with union/ball valve to adjust the flow to the frag tank. You want a union/ball valve between the pump and the sump and one above the pump so you can isolate and remove the pump for servicing/replacement.

Just run the return to the tank and then the overflow/drain back into the sump into the same location your tank drains into it, or even splice the drain into your tanks drain line assuming its large enough. A 1.5" line should be fine from the splice down into the sump to handle the additional flow. I would avoid check valves as they are prone to failure and overflowing of the tank....

Make sure you have a slight incline on the drain from the frag tank to the tank drain splice.... and put an antisiphon hole on the return nozzle in the frag tank.

I was hoping to get feedback from you dave. Thanks. I'm having to make my own overflow kit b/c my overflow is only 14" tall. Also I'm getting the ati 24" 6 bulb sunpower fixture how how high should I hang it? I'm gonna mainly host chalice in the tank.

@uchin wrote:
I was hoping to get feedback from you dave. Thanks. I'm having to make my own overflow kit b/c my overflow is only 14" tall. Also I'm getting the ati 24" 6 bulb sunpower fixture how how high should I hang it? I'm gonna mainly host chalice in the tank. said:
6-8 inches above the water line.. and adjust the time based on the bulb configuration.

Running 2ati blue plus 2 ati actinics ati color pro ge daylight?
I heard the ati are powerful and can bleach. I'm borrowing scotts par meter I'm looking to get 150 at the bottom. Plus I'm gonna add 40lbs coarse sand. Tank is 30x30x16.

@uchin wrote:
Running 2ati blue plus 2 ati actinics ati color pro ge daylight? I heard the ati are powerful and can bleach. I'm borrowing scotts par meter I'm looking to get 150 at the bottom. Plus I'm gonna add 40lbs coarse sand. Tank is 30x30x16. said:
I suggest you avoid the Pro Color.. I don't like the coloration. Throw another Blue Plus and a Blue Special on there. Thats just my preference.

@DaveJ wrote:
[I]@uchin wrote:[/I][quote="Running 2ati blue plus 2 ati actinics ati color pro ge daylight? I heard the ati are powerful and can bleach. I'm borrowing scotts par meter I'm looking to get 150 at the bottom. Plus I'm gonna add 40lbs coarse sand. Tank is 30x30x16. said:
I suggest you avoid the Pro Color.. I don't like the coloration. Throw another Blue Plus and a Blue Special on there. Thats just my preference."]

They are discontinueing the Pro Color, you can do the URI 75/25 or KZ fiji purple to help bring out the red/pink's. Neither are as harsh as the pro color.

Cheers,

take a look at mbz frag tank i would copy his.

i would run all 3 blue+ and blue specials if it were my tank as dave said par would not be a problem with the sunpower and tank being so short