Fighting cyano

nobody

Membership Expired
I'm losing the battle of getting rid of cynao and can use a bit of help from the experts!

I've dosed Chemiclean twice, two weeks apart and 50% of water change after each time. Cyano would clear up for a few days then come back with a vengeance. Yesterday, I treated the tank with Cyano solution per instructions, but today it appears that treatment has no effect! Worse yet, cyano appears to be much worse! My tank parameters are near "perfect" and yet I can't figure out how to get rid of this problem.

Nitrite, nitrate, ammonia: 0
Calcium: 400
Alk: 10
Magnesium: 1350
pH: 8.15 - 8.20
Phosphate: 0 (undetectable with 2 different test kits).

I wonder if I mis-identify the nuisance, so below are a few pictures just in case I get confused between cyano and dino.

Cyano on the vallida
[attachment=1]IMG_1438.JPG[/attachment]

On the sand bed
[attachment=0]IMG_1439.JPG[/attachment]

That's not cyano like I've seen and have. But could be a form of cyano. Most of the time it grows in mats of red. Sorry I can't help any more.

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

What kinda lighting do you have? Also try treatment with no lighting and see if that helps. Also if you treated and problem wasn't solved, you should do the 50% after a treatment then quickly re-treat when you finish the water change. This makes the bacteria weak and you hit it again. I haven't seen cyano bacteria make it threw 2 treatment with no lighting for min 2 days.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

[attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424738597.825126.jpg[/attachment]

Sent from pay phone in the airport.

I think this is dinoflagellates. I've battled them in the last few weeks. Constant turkey basting and a big reduction in Daily lighting period seems to be going best for me. Adding more flow seems to help a lot too. I've certainly got them on the retreat. Read into dosing Hydrogen Peroxide 3% as well. Anyone else think this is Dino's?

If it's Dino's it should develop small air bubbles at the ends of the red slimy strings? Do you see any of these bubbles?

@Mike R wrote:
If it's Dino's it should develop small air bubbles at the ends of the red slimy strings? Do you see any of these bubbles? said:
I thought cyano has bubbles, too!

Does this tell you I have dino?
[attachment=0]IMG_1443.JPG[/attachment]

That picture of the valida tells me it is dinoflagellates. Chemiclean will do nothing to help in it's removal! As has been said, siphon out what you can, reduce lighting, or even turn it off for a couple of days. I have treated my tank before with 3% hydrogen peroxide to get rid of dinos, and it works. It had not gotten as bad as what you have there. I milliliter per each 10 gallons of water in your system added each night for a week, or longer. There is a thread here on this forum about what some of us did. My experience with the dinos was a wispy brown strand formed on the tips of a couple of hard corals when it first started. Cyano forms a sheet on the sand, or rock.

http://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

Thanks guys! I was suspecting dino, but I thought snails would eat it up and my snails wouldn't touch this!

I did have light out for 4 days and it cleared up for a few days, then came back. Time for Hydrogen peroxide treatment!

I dosed peroxide with great results. The corals didn't seem to mind it nor did the fish. I think I dosed for about 10 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

@Hook'em2006 wrote:
I dosed peroxide with great results. The corals didn't seem to mind it nor did the fish. I think I dosed for about 10 days. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD said:
What sps were you housing and how did the peroxide affect them?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity would this work for cyano bacteria and help with other algeas like bubble and hair. I know it wouldn't completely cure it but could h2o2 help tone it down?

@Joe Reborn wrote:
[I]@Hook'em2006 wrote:[/I][quote="I dosed peroxide with great results. The corals didn't seem to mind it nor did the fish. I think I dosed for about 10 days. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD said:
What sps were you housing and how did the peroxide affect them?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk"]

I had a few different birds nest colonies. GBN and some ponape birds nest. Don't remember the other acros though. I didn't see much effect. I think the lights out treatment was more harsh on them. Maybe a little less PE.

@texasswangin214 wrote:
Out of curiosity would this work for cyano bacteria and help with other algeas like bubble and hair. I know it wouldn't completely cure it but could h2o2 help tone it down? said:
I don't know about bubble algae, but I used a syringe and directly blasted hair algae with h2o2 and it took care of it after a few days. Remember, 1 ml per 10 gals.

I'll update this thread in a week on how the tank treatment goes. Black out begins today. Just having a really hard time raising pH. I seem to max out at 8.25.

@nobody wrote:
I'll update this thread in a week on how the tank treatment goes. Black out begins today. Just having a really hard time raising pH. I seem to max out at 8.25. said:
You probably know that opening the windows will raise the pH a good bit.