Female clown with something on the side of her head

Lance

Membership Expired
Today I noticed something on the side of my female clown fish. It is in her stripe and I tried to get a picture of it but she would not turn towards the camera (guess she is just vain like that). I know that my long spine urchin was busy cleaning the rock around the eggs and I am just wondering if she could have stuck herself as it does not look like anything I have seen before. If it could be what should I do? Should I try and catch her and pull out the spine or just let it heal up. She seems to be fine with it as she is eating and swimming normally.

Here are the best pictures I could get. As you can see it looks like something sticking out and about the size of a needle.

alt="">

alt="">

alt="">

alt="">

alt="">

No not ick as I know what that looks like from having mollies.

If you look at picture 4 you can see what looks like something stuck in her and picture 5 shows what looks like something under the skin.

That's your mated female too. Awh man that stinks. Better keep a close eye on her. Have you put her in QT/HT?

That does look a lot like something stuck in her now that I look at it. Maybe check the urchin and see if one of his spines is missing a piece?

Looks like hole-in-the-head disease (when I kept freshwater fish, my discus would sometimes get it), but I dont know if there is a saltwater version of it.

@ldreefer wrote:
That's your mated female too. Awh man that stinks. Better keep a close eye on her. Have you put her in QT/HT? That does look a lot like something stuck in her now that I look at it. Maybe check the urchin and see if one of his spines is missing a piece? said:
Yea it is my mated egg laying female...... I did check the urchin and could not really tell if one was broken or not.

I have read about the saltwater version, for the most part it is the same as FW. I believe it is caused by water parameters and stress, but I don't think that's what is affecting your clown. Usually in HITD, I think anyways, the fish will get more of what look like open sores on the head.

Lights are about to come on on a few minusites so I will go and check on her but from what I have seen it looks better today.

I'm thinking it looks like a wound. Take a look at the pics here for comparison. http://www.mbisite.org/Forums/tm.aspx?m=62285